Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla Hit his Nose or Head!! WILL HE BE OK!?!?  (Read 1102 times)

Mannybilly1030

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
Chinchilla Hit his Nose or Head!! WILL HE BE OK!?!?
« on: July 29, 2014, 10:49:18 PM »

earlier today i grabbed my feisty chinchilla to hold him since him and i are trying to bond more and he let me but he started going crazy like usual and as he escaped from my arms he jumped and hit the bars on the bottom of the first level. i wouldnt say Hard to cause some bleeding, dizzyness, or any scary things. when he got on his feet he kept wiping his nose and i know he hit his nose because my grandma always taught me if any pet hit his head touch the bridge of his nose to see if theres a bump which can mean brain swelling. so i did and well typically he doesnt like me petting his but or from the tops of his eyes to his butt and i touched it and no bump i massaged his little nose and he seemed good. but i got scared because he kept wiping his nose and i guess from being so scared he went into shock and tried climbing the cage pole and i never seen him do that. i left the cage doors open to monitor him and he was fine he went to eat and running like if nothing happend but as i got him back in the cage i did see him a bit anxious and him breathing a bit fast. so i just want to know he will be ok theres no signs of Major problems that need medical attention. like i said hes back to normal like if nothing happend i think really hes a little shooken up from the nose bang. i felt so bad for him, i literally pampered him for a good 30 minutes to see if he was ok and fortunatley he is ok from what i see. i just dont want him hitting his nose or anything again
im probably gonna have to baby proof the outside of the cage now

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Chinchilla Hit his Nose or Head!! WILL HE BE OK!?!?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 06:20:08 AM »

I know of one other case where something similar happened and the chinchilla turned out to be just fine. It is likely the soft tissues in the nose are bruised. There is a slight possibility the nose is broken. In either case it's not really something that can be treated and it should heal up on its own.
He probably will act a little off for a few days because of the traumatic experience.
To prevent this from happening you should try to develop a different method for handling your chinchilla and making sure that when you release him from your hands that you always do it by the floor of the cage so if he bolts away he can't fall on his nose.

When handling my chinchilla I usually sit down on a chair or at a far enough distance from the cage that he is not tempted to jump into the cage which is dangerous for any pet.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up