Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is Chinchilla food safe for humans?  (Read 572 times)

Jasonred79

• Appreciation points: 24
  • # of Chins: 1
  • human belonging to Popsicle
    • View Profile
Is Chinchilla food safe for humans?
« on: July 29, 2014, 06:05:28 AM »

I think I hang around Popsicle TOO much... I was wondering whether his food was nice or not, so I crunched one of his pellets. Tastes a bit like spinach.
(chewing hay is something I've seen in too many western movies lol I know it's fine)

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Is Chinchilla food safe for humans?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 06:32:18 AM »

In theory pet food shouldn't be bad for people to eat per se, but in actuality the ingredients and processing are not regulated in the same way and may not be suitable for human consumption. It is inferior in quality and safety standards compared to food that is, therfore, it is more likely that it may contain something harmful.
Animals like chinchillas live only a fraction of our lifetime so ingredients that may cause cancer or have long term effects can be used in animal diets that cannot be used in human diets.

Raw loose hay should probably not be consumed since the way it is stored and dried may invite the growth of microbes that we are not used to consuming and may not be immune to. These can be introduced by rats and insects. We do not store and process people food the same way for our diets.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up