Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rescue chin!  (Read 770 times)

jamesholland

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Rescue chin!
« on: July 28, 2014, 04:57:11 PM »

Hi folks  :) new to this forum

I recently have rehomed what I am calling a rescue chinchilla, basically his last owners didn't give a hoot about him, didn't let him out, barely allowed him dust baths and just didn't give him the love and attention that he deserved. Now that we've got him I'm a bit concerned whether I'll ever have a bond with the little guy!

At first he was grunting a lot as soon as I came anywhere near him but that has stopped, I've started letting him out a lot (his cage is rather small compared to the other one we have, just trouble getting it transported over as it is rather big). But he's still quite jumpy. He doesn't seem to be popcorning (I think that's the right phrase) a lot.

My question is what can I do to make the little guy happy? I've got a flying saucer wheel on the way and will hopefully be able to get him a lot of treats and the proper food he needs tomorrow. Also should I take him to the vet to give him a once over to make sure he's ok?

Many thanks!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Rescue chin!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 07:49:21 PM »

Congrats on your new pet. I have had a rescue chin before and my experience was successful. Although he never tamed down as much as my new chin (from a breeder) he was a very meaningful pet and a joy to interact with.

My advice to new chin owners is usually to wait at least 5 days, but as much as two weeks, before letting them out. Make sure the chinchilla wants to come to you first and allow it time to become accustomed to its new surroundings. If you come on too fast and too strong you may interfere with the bonding process and end up with an aggressive pet that is hand shy. With chinchillas it is a cooperative effort and it takes time to learn how to read your pet and for your pet to learn how to trust you and what to expect. Most chins do not like to be handled and require a lot of work to tame them. There are few exceptions but it will depend on your particular pet as no two animals are exactly alike. I have experience with a rescue chin like yours, where the owner did not do much with it, and it was about a month before I could handle him safely.

Chinchillas are typically jumpy and nervous animals, a lot like pet birds, but the longer you have them and work with them, the more tame they become. It takes patience and consistency. Chinchillas have very good memories and it can work to your advantage and disadvantage.

Popcorning is a behavior when chinchillas get into a crazy and energetic mood. You'll know it when you see it. Usually it is during their dust bath times and they'll kind of twist in the air as they jump straight up.

Treats should be kept to a minimum. No more than the equivalent of two raisins a day should be given to a full-grown chin. I recommend that new chins be given no treats until at a least a week after relocation. Afterwards treats should only be used as training aids as they have no good nutritional value for chinchillas and can be very harmful if misused. Relocated chinchillas seem to have a week or two where they go through a lot of stress, do not act normally, and their digestion is not quite normal either. I know you have big plans but don't try to do everything at once and it will work out much better for you.

As far as a vet visit that depends. If his diet has not been right, if he has not had constant access to loose hay, or constant access to chew toys in the long run there is a good chance his teeth could be messed up and may exhibit symptoms later. Tooth problems are not always curable and the diagnosis requires anesthesia so a tooth exam should only be done if symptoms warrant it.  If your chinchilla appears otherwise healthy, is eating his hay and pellets, and does not appear underweight you are fine. His eyes and nose should be clear of mucous buildup or drainage. His front teeth should look yellow and straight and they should be flat and straight where they meet. (If you wish to have a look get someone to help you and make it very brief to minimize stress). His coat should be fully intact and not matted. Stools should not stain or be mushy. If he does not fit that description you may want to consider an exam. Otherwise it is not worth the stress and cost IMO.

For all pet owners I recommend weighing your chinchilla once a week and keeping a log. A downwards trend can indicate significant health problems and may be your only indicator of certain illnesses. Keep a mental note of food and water intake each day and determine what is normal and abnormal. Chinchillas will hide illness well and by the time they have symptoms it can be too late to save them.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 05:49:59 AM »

yes, it does take time.  i know some people will even just sit near the cage to let the little one get used to them. you can read, bring your laptop over.. etc.  and just do what you need to do, if you talk to him, talk in a calm/lower tone voice.     it can be time consuming to bond, so never rush him, they will all go at their own pace. 

after about a week or two, put your  hand in the cage, slowly, and let him come over to you and sniff it.. dont try to pet him, just leave it there and let him do his thing.. try this every day or a few times a day.  then after a few days or more, depending on your pet, try putting 1 treat on your hand and let him take it off [rosehip, cheerio]  [but only do the treat thing once a day].

its hard to do, you just want to pick them up and give them lots of lovins... 

congrats.

jean
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

Jasonred79

• Appreciation points: 24
  • # of Chins: 1
  • human belonging to Popsicle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 02:45:01 AM »

:'(

At first he was grunting a lot as soon as I came anywhere near him but that has stopped, I've started letting him out a lot (his cage is rather small compared to the other one we have, just trouble getting it transported over as it is rather big). But he's still quite jumpy. He doesn't seem to be popcorning (I think that's the right phrase) a lot.

My question is what can I do to make the little guy happy? I've got a flying saucer wheel on the way and will hopefully be able to get him a lot of treats and the proper food he needs tomorrow.
[/quote]

Sounds like you've made quite a lot of progress in a short amount of time, actually!
Every chin has some personality quirks and stuff... sounds to me like the two of you are quite compatible with each other, I'd say just keep on doing what you're doing... and just use a little "instinct" for minor minor daily adjustments...

At the end of the day, forummers can give every piece of advice by the book... and it might turn out that a new owner has beginners luck and just clicks well with his chin. For popsicle and me, EVERYONE says not to chase you chin around cause of their prey instincts trigerring, but my little guy LOVES playing tag with me and hide and seek, and even takes turns chasing me sometimes... .... mind you, Gray Rodent and gang are very knowledgeable and give good advice. Just saying that, for instance, if you already let your chin out to play on the first day you got him, and he is happy and playful, then keep letting him out and ignore the 5 day/ 2 week waiting period. However, if you let a chin out on the 1st day you get him, and he acts weird, then you will know that it is because you should observe the waiting period in that case!!! (again, Popsicle was atypical, and wanted out of cage by day 2, and was playing tag with me by the end of the 1st week)
Pages: [1]   Go Up