Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will my chinchillas forgive me  (Read 1132 times)

Chins4Life089

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 2
  • hi
    • View Profile
Will my chinchillas forgive me
« on: July 10, 2014, 06:50:28 PM »

Well let me start off and say since I have adopt them they have been everything I have ever expected.  Now the story, I let them alone for a day or 2 and did what I normally do during the day, and they set a very fast pace. I could literally run by there cage and and move as fast as I can and they weren't scared, so I thought it might be time it in envolve my hands, so I opened the cage doors on the bottom level and sat down and put my hands in the cage with a treat in my palm. They started off really scared then one worked up the nerve to come and see what I was all about.  She started to go to my hand and run away then she nibbled my finger to test what I was then took the treat then the other 2 came down and did the same. After they did that I thought that was enough for the day.  A little later I felt like cleaning out there cage and I did, pulled out all the bedding and poops.  Now this is where it get interesting when I was putting the bedding in I was using one hand to put the bedding in the cage and another to spread it around , well I got a text and I need to answer it so while I was reading it I left one hand in the cage and the chinchillas felt like they should see what's going on and one of the daughters came to my hand and smelt and nibbled and I let her do it, I really didn't mind, so she did what she wanted to do and left. Now the mother came down and did the same except when she got to the index finger she nibbled then bit me hard I am not going to lie it hurt, so I did what someone told me when they bit and u couldn't get then to release, do a quick puff of air in there face. Well all three were around when I did it and they all freaked and ran up to there safe spot, while I was tending to my would which was bleeding a lot, I closed the doors and wash it and but a band aid on it then a glove till I could finish my job and I did then I felt like sleeping so I went to sleep in my bed woke up and started on my schedule (refill the water bottle, clean out the old hay and put more in, and putting pellets in there bowl) but I noticed something when I went to there cage (they were up since it was at 4:30 am, had to get ready for work that day) they all ran and hid from me when I walked really slow to the cage, which was odd because they didn't do that before.

I thought back that night when she bit me and thought maybe they got a little scared of me so I let them alone for a day and the daughter got a little better but the mom is still angry at me. Just so u know I blew in her face for a last resort, I shook my finger thing to get her off and she just stayed latched on.

Do u think she will ever forgive me or will I have to start from the beginning and be even more slow.

Also since I have 3 chins how do I tell if the mom is eating because I haven't seen her eating after the incident but she could be doing it when I am sleeping.

Any help u can give me would be a thanks.
Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Will my chinchillas forgive me
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 07:28:36 PM »

Sounds like you've had an interesting experience. Having one chinchilla myself I can imagine the challenge of having three at once! You probably have a minor setback but it shouldn't be a problem if you remain consistent. Two days is not very much time for chinchillas to get used to you. I recommend paying close attention at all times when handling your chinchillas for their safety and yours. Also to avoid startling them again if at all possible. The fact is you can't do everything perfectly all the time and the best thing you can do is learn and try to think ahead. The more you are around them the more predictable they will become. Unfortunately the first few weeks are when you have to be extra careful to establish in their minds their surroundings are safe and secure.

Basically you just need to start the introduction process over having learned now what they are capable of. You do not want them to nibble on your hands right after you've handled food of any kind. I recommend not giving them treats until at least a week after you've had them to prevent digestive upsets. You should not let them out of the cage until they are comfortable enough to come to you when you come to the cage. This can take some weeks.
Chinchillas are not like cats and dogs and have a different psychological makeup. If you've ever owned birds before you might be more familiar with the way chins work. They constantly look out for danger and try to avoid it. They do have good memories but they also have a memory for patterns. When one chin gets upset the others may follow their lead which is going to make the pattern harder to break. They communicate with each other through inaudible sounds. They can be conditioned to accept things they are afraid of if you are gentle, careful, and consistent. It is a fear response you are dealing with not anything else. The longer you are around them the more comfortable they will be around you.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 06:34:04 AM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 07:45:26 PM »

As far as the other chinchilla not eating I very much doubt that is a problem. I wouldn't worry about it if I was in your situation. This kind of thing is not a lot of stress but an an annoyance to them. After two weeks I strongly recommend weighing each chinchilla once a week and keeping track of their weight and start handling each one for brief periods of time. You can weigh them in a travel cage. Most often the only way you can detect illnesses in your pets is by noting a downwards consistent trend in weight.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 07:48:23 PM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Jasonred79

• Appreciation points: 24
  • # of Chins: 1
  • human belonging to Popsicle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 05:56:16 AM »

My condolences on your grandma. I hope you're ok.

I thought you only adopted 2, why are there 3 now?

Anyhow, I can't say for certain, but I don't think it was the puff of air that caused them to be frightened. The puff of air doesn't actually do any damage, and it's not scary or anything, just a minor irritation. (which is why people recommend it)

My theory:  you left your hand in the cage too long, and you went over their comfort zone. They felt that you had overstayed your welcome, and crossed into "intruder" zone, and the nibbles were to warn you away, and when the daughters got frightened the mum came out, and when you still didn't get the message, she bit you SERIOUSLY.
Chins (and dogs cats etc) do sometimes bite or scratch too hard, BUT, generally, all animals know that when they draw blood, they have crossed a certain line. Any time an animal bites hard enough to cause bleeding (and you said it was bleeding "a lot") they know that they have caused injury. If an animal tastes blood in it's mouth and still doesn't let go, it is NOT PLAYING AROUND, it knows that it is causing harm and is doing it on purpose.

Having crossed their comfort zone and intruded on their personal space, you should be careful not to do it again, ESPECIALLY not too soon... as grayrodent said, give them time.

Personally though, what I would try? ... my theory is that chins are surprisingly intelligent. They sometimes understand underlying subtleties that would surprise you.
Try a peace offering/ apology.
Every day, go to their cage, gently and slowly apologize for disturbing them, and place their treats in their cage, then back off to the other end of your room. Wait for them to take the treat. After they take it, gently say "Thank you... I hope we can be friends again." Then exit the room.
It might feel silly doing this for a little animal that doesn't speak english, but try it out and see if it works. You might be very very surprised!
Pages: [1]   Go Up