Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie help  (Read 606 times)

kenseth03

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Newbie help
« on: July 16, 2014, 06:51:35 PM »

We just adopted a chinchilla from a friend of ours. She loved it and didn't want to get rid of him but she works 14 hrs. a day now and doesn't have time for it. I researched a bit before I got it but I have some questions. Is it normal for them to nibble on your hands? For some reason he clamps down harder on your finger nails too. Also, I got to admit that I have a hard time getting him out of his cage without just outright grabbing him? I am not gonna lie,I really am scared he is gonna bite me or my wife or son. We just brought him home yesterday and I feel like for a week or two he just needs to get used to his cage being in a new home with new surroundings before handling him too much. He does seem to take raisins from our hand pretty gently. Any help for a new Chinchilla owner would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully he will work out just fine cause I want to build him a large custom cage. Thanks in advance for your help.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Newbie help
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 07:04:51 PM »

Chinchillas normally do not bite but can if they are provoked. They can also clamp down if they smell food on your hands and are capable of drawing blood. I don't consider them to be dangerous their bite won't send you to the hospital or anything but it does hurt. (The worst part is reacting badly to it and scaring your pet which can make it harder to for them to trust you)
Please be very careful not to startle your chinchilla for the first couple of weeks. You may want to not remove it from the cage for at least 5 days and let it get accustomed to its new place.
I will post more information for you later.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 08:18:54 PM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

kenseth03

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie help
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 07:08:29 PM »

Thank you Gray Rodent.  :)

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up