Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ways to put chinchilla back to cage  (Read 3381 times)

hlianapa

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 5
    • View Profile
ways to put chinchilla back to cage
« on: July 20, 2014, 10:34:58 AM »

Hello.. I have a question. I read everywhere that you should never chase chinchillas because they feel threatened and lose their trust. But is there another way to put them in their cages?  Also, is there a way to regain their trust?

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: ways to put chinchilla back to cage
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 12:19:18 PM »

Yeah, I also agree you shouldn't chase a chinchilla, especially if you are not well bonded. However sometimes it's the only reasonable way to catch one and when your pet's safety is on the line you need to do whatever it takes to catch it quickly. Which is one reason I recommend that when you first get a new chinchilla you don't let it out of the cage until it has demonstrated it is not afraid of you and to wait at least one week before you let it out. Some breeders recommend a period closer to three weeks and that will establish a stronger bond with you. Eventually you will be in a situation where you will have to give chase so be prepared!

One thing I learned about catching a loose chin is that it's really tough and best done with more than one agile person to make it go quickly. Efficiency is going to be your best tool to minimize stress. You can also use a fine mesh net with a long handle to help you chase it out from under the furniture and possibly get it into the net. (although it's more useful as a tool to chase your chinchilla out into the open). The flexible hoop of the net should help prevent injury if you happen to hit your pet with it accidentally. Sometimes you just have to run them down until they get slow enough that you can grab them. Usually it means they are overheated so you should return it to the cage immediately and let them rest and cool off. Only use that strategy as a last resort since overheating can be quite dangerous if the room temperature is above 70F.

I learned with my particular chinchilla that if I close the doors to the hallway he will run into the bathroom and try to get into the tub where he is dusted regularly. Once I close the bathroom door he is really easy to catch. That is usually how I get him. Although on some rare occasions he will just stay still and let me pick him up. It is a learning experience and it will be a matter of trial and error. Sometimes coaxing them with treats helps but not always. For a tame chinchilla chasing can be more of a game to them but usually when you finally grab them you will sometimes get fur slip so be careful.

After you've had a good chase you may find your chinchilla acts more afraid of you than usual and may become more vocal. I've found with mine sometimes but this is temporary and may only last a day or two. As long as you handle your chinchilla regularly and interact in a friendly context your pet should be just fine. If its only experience out of the cage requires being chased you will have problems. So the best thing to do is have a chinchilla safe room like a bathroom where it's easy to catch them and let them play there and to train them to tolerate being held, even if it's just for a few seconds, to make them easier to handle and less afraid of you.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 12:23:56 PM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

mb30

• Appreciation points: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 10:58:11 PM »

Try rolling up a rug to create a tunnel. Wait for chin to go in and then cover both ends with hands...lift up and put one end in the cage opening while leaving the ither end covered with your hand. The chin will run back into the cage since its the only exit.

Jasonred79

• Appreciation points: 24
  • # of Chins: 1
  • human belonging to Popsicle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 06:14:07 AM »

I got 1 way that works when I let my chin out outdoors (where chasing down is just impossible).

I bought a cat carrier and I leave it in my room all the time, door open, and popsicle treats it like one of his home away from homes. (I leave a lava rock in it permanently)

When I want to bring him back in from the condo garden, I show him a treat, and put it in the cat carrier, and he goes in it, I close the door. Everyone's happy!

hlianapa

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 05:22:33 AM »

My boyfriend found a way and they get in the cage on their own. I have no idea why, but when he shakes the cage door, they go and jump in the cage. It works for all 4 I'd them, but I don't know why!!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 09:53:16 AM »

That is amazing!
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up