Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: nose fur problem  (Read 872 times)

andatodoran

• Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: two
    • View Profile
nose fur problem
« on: July 19, 2014, 02:20:37 PM »

I have two chins, Kina and Casper and I was away for three weeks and my family took care of them.

Tonight, when I came back, I noticed that Casper layed on his side for a few moments and that was something that he just wouldn't do. He was and is just as active as always and happy and curious so I didn't have any reason to worry - no food change, fresh water every day ( not tap water) regularly changed bedding- , but when I held him and looked closer, I noticed that some fur on his nose was missing.

I have a photo attached - best i could take, tempted him with a raisin so he's "stay put"... what do you think it could be? The skin looks normal, it isn't red or weird in any way..... My family didn't notice anything as Casper is not exactly the touchy kind - he actually screamed when i held him, again, this he would never do -  so he wouldn't let them take really close looks.

I'm getting really nervous so if you have any idea of what it may be and what i could do for him.... I'll be forever in debt to you. Thank you in advance.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: nose fur problem
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 02:39:14 PM »

Is there anything that could could have attacked Casper through the bars of the cage? He is acting like he's been traumatized by something. Perhaps something got his nose.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

andatodoran

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 03:03:10 PM »

No, nothing... We don't have any other pets..... Could it be that he may have gotten into a fight with Kina during playtime? But then he should have other marks too, I guess

Or   okay, this sound weird, but when he runs in his wheel he keeps his nose outside the wheel and i guess it may be rubbing his fur off... But that doesn't explain the behaviour

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 03:08:57 PM »

Is it possible he got his nose behind the wheel while the other chinchilla was on it maybe getting it pulled in between the bars and the wheel? All I can do is speculate.

Is he acting like he is in pain from something? If he is you might want to have it checked out by a vet. One other thing you can do is mark with a non-toxic permanent marker at the edge of the fur loss. (don't use much, just a few dots, and avoid getting fumes in the nose!) If the loss is getting worse it could be ringworm.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 03:22:30 PM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

andatodoran

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 03:20:51 PM »

I wouldn't say "pain" but he does act strange... At first i thought that it was because of the new chin but now he just can't stand being touched. He used to love neck scratches and now he runs away when we scratch him but not scared/ in pain/ antisocial way, more like he just doesn't like that ... And tonight when he screamed when i tried to hold him... That scared me!

I'll keep an eye on him these next few days and i'll do the marker thing.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 03:23:23 PM »

Just use a few dots and don't let him inhale too many vapors!
Pages: [1]   Go Up