Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crust on nose  (Read 618 times)

littlejaypops

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Crust on nose
« on: July 16, 2014, 12:56:32 PM »

Hi everybody,
I got a new chinchilla about a week ago, and I noticed his nose looks funny. I will attach a picture so you can see what I'm talking about.
If anybody knows what it may be, and how to help it if it is something alarming,, please let me know. I am concerned about it.
Thank you in advance!!
~ Chico. <3 ~ + ~Pika. <3~

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Crust on nose
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 01:56:41 PM »

I'm not sure what it is but I suspect it is a fungal infection of the skin. I recommend a vet visit to get a diagnosis. If it is ringworm, which is not that uncommon in chinchillas, it is highly contagious and you can get it as well. Wash your hands carefully before and after you handle your chins. Fungus isn't that dangerous as long as it's kept under control but it's very annoying and requires a lot of cage cleaning and care to prevent cross contamination.

If if it is caused by mucous discharge from the nose it could be a respiratory infection which can be very dangerous.
Ultimately I don't know what it is but it is potentially dangerous therefore I recommend a vet exam.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up