Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible mushy poops. Help!?  (Read 631 times)

Chins4Life089

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 2
  • hi
    • View Profile
Possible mushy poops. Help!?
« on: July 12, 2014, 09:39:00 PM »

I am a worry wart when it comes to my new chinchillas and if anything happens to them I get kinda worrie. Now when I first got them they popped everywhere on the shelves everywhere, so maybe once or twice a day I sweep of the shelves. I would step on there poops and it would feel like stepping on a airsoft bb or marble but when I was walking in my room stepped on there poops today they where kinda squishy not like spread all over the place squishy just if u step or even pick up and squeeze they squish down a bit and when I went to sweep out the shelf they were the same. I have been trying to change there food and have been doing it right 25% new food and 75% old food for the first week or 2 and I haven't even went that far yet, so I changed there food back to all old and just so u know when I wake up all the food is gone  so I know they are not just eating the new stuff. Also they like to chew on the bars so every time I see them chewing on the bars I take a stick for the cage and give it to them and usually stop and eat the bark off the sticks. They have eat in a lot of the sticks do h think that could do it? Also I changed there hay to a higher quality but that was on Monday so I don't think that is the issue. Any insight u can give me would be thanked. 

Also what kind of sickness can chins get from u?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 10:00:27 PM by Chins4Life089 »
Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Possible mushy poops. Help!?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 06:00:00 AM »

I suppose feeding them too many sticks that they are eating can cause that. Use pine blocks or pumice instead. As far as chewing on the bars there really isn't much you can do about that.
If it's really mushy and smearing and staining the shelves there may be problem. If it goes on for more than a week or two I recommend a vet visit and getting a stool culture done. I had this happen with my chinchilla, Kulu, and it turned out to be coccidia, which is a parasitic infection. It healed up after the second week of antibiotic treatment.
In your case it could be directly related to the diet. I would wait at least three weeks after getting a new chinchilla before trying to switch its pelleted diet. Sometimes it takes that long for them to get used to their new place and for stress levels to go down, which can also cause that.
If the feces ever become liquidy you will need to see a vet that day if possible. Try not to let soft stools occur for more than two weeks without a vet consult otherwise dangerous complications may occur if it is left untreated.

If it turns out to be parasitic and requires treatment (which is unlikely but possible) I recommend this article:
http://www.chinchillaclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,4308.msg32049.html#msg32049
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 06:24:25 AM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Possible mushy poops. Help!?
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 06:02:14 AM »

As far as sicknesses chins can get from you I would say any kind of bacterial infection. Viral infections are possible but are rarely transmitted to animals because they must be genetically compatible. Secondary bacterial infections are not uncommon with viral respiratory infections. It is always best practice to wash your hands before and after handling your pet and to minimize handling them when you are sick.
Respiratory infections in chinchillas are very difficult to treat and are usually fatal.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 06:05:49 AM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up