Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No chew spray?  (Read 1462 times)

chinchillin4566

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
No chew spray?
« on: July 09, 2014, 05:45:51 PM »

Good evening! I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on chew spray! My vet recommended sour apple no chew spray for dogs. My chinchillas loved the flavor of that so it was more so like a treat! I was now recommended 'Whisker City- No chew' spray for cats. The ingredients are Purified Water, Sodium Bicarbonate, and bittering agent (0.075%)
Is this safe for my chins? or does anyone else have any suggestions?
Thanks  :)
   -Colin

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: No chew spray?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 06:29:39 PM »

I doubt chemically it will be much different. What is your chinchilla chewing on that you need spray for? There may be a different solution for your problem.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

chinchillin4566

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 07:47:21 PM »

They are chewing on the wood paneling , doors, and door frames. they are all wood, wires as well.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 08:07:37 PM »

Most chinchilla owners have a chinchilla safe room like a bathroom where they can play and supervise them to make sure nothing gets destroyed. There is a play pen available as well that can be put over the floor. I doubt the flavoring is going to work for you. I wonder if they can taste it. Chinchillas are known for eating things that are toxic to them.
It is not advisable to let chinchillas run through the house. The biggest danger is electrical wires. I know of about four now that have been electrocuted to death. I've had a near hit myself with a rabbit years ago.

Personally I have trained my chinchilla to be held and he will stay on my shoulder (or on the back of my desk chair) or in my lap. If he gets down (usually jumps on my computer desk and finds papers he likes to chew on) I immediately bring him back or put him in his cage. If I have to I'll chase him into the bathroom and make sure he stays moving until he's safe. This prevents him from chewing on anything. It is a method that has worked well but it took several months of careful conditioning before he was consistent. (never completely consistent but still quite manageable).

This probably isn't what you want to hear but it's the best advice I know to give. Hope this helps.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

chinchillin4566

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 08:49:41 PM »

It did help thank you! I don't let them run through the house only in my bedroom for a half an hour each. I think im gonna try the bathroom! thank you
Pages: [1]   Go Up