Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How To Start Bonding  (Read 648 times)

Chins4Life089

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 2
  • hi
    • View Profile
How To Start Bonding
« on: July 07, 2014, 02:54:37 PM »

Hello people out there i just got my 3 new chinchillas and they are amazing. One is the mother and and the other 2 are the daughters. Now we went to get the today and the ride was good I put them in the cage all was fine I gave them a dust bath and the mom didn't want to get out of it but I got her out. They Finally learned they could jump up the shelves and i let them be they slept then once they got a little more moving around I tried to interact with them just a little bit and I got one to take the treat out of my hand and I thought, "that's good" then I go to the other and have a treat in my hand she went for my fingers nipped just a bit (testing me) and I went with it then she got to the thumb and then nipped, then she bit me not hard enough to draw blood but it hurt so I blew in her face to get her to stop and I gave that  treat to the mother and she ate it, then I over stepped my boundaries when I rubbed her and she gave me a warning nip so I left her in peace.

I need to know how do I bond with them the right way, step by step

Also is it normal for the biting even when my hand was completely still.

I just need some help cause this is my first time ever have a chinchilla, let alone 3 of them. Any help and advice u can give me would be greatly appreciated, also if u want me to post pictures of them I will.
Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: How To Start Bonding
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 07:57:38 AM »

Here are some tips I've gathered.
Minimize handling until after about two weeks so they can adjust to their new environment.
Definately frequently interact with them through the bars.
Do not let them roam outside of their cage until they are tame enough to come to you when you put your hand in their cage.
Start slow and do not overhandle them. Earn their trust. However do not be too passive either or they will become spoiled and never tame down
Therefore avoid any fast movements or loud noises. Avoid pets like dogs, cats, or other people, who may taunt them.
As you go you can do more and more with them. It is a process that takes months, not days.
Chinchillas are trainable by repetition. It takes many many reps but once they've learned it's permanent.
I've learned that letting them roam around with you sitting in an enclosed shower or bath tub is good experience for you and your pet.
After three weeks I recommend taking each one out and holding them for a few seconds, then putting them back. Do this on a regular basis and you will see improvement. Initially they may act aggressive. Make sure they do not get conditioned to where they think biting is an effective means to get you to to back off.
I recommend that if one threatens to bite you pick it up for a second or two.
If a chinchilla panics in the cage back off or it may seriously injure itself. If you are holding it and it panics when you have a good hold wait a few seconds for it to calm down before you put it back.
Do not let chinchillas jump from your hands. Always make sure you have a good hold to the end. This will prevent accidents.
Be careful with handling. Their legs are fragile. Do not try to pick them up by the scruff. They can slip their fur out when stressed and become very slippery. Hold with both hands. You can hold at the base of the tail as a good way to steady them. Only dangle them by the base of the tail if you need to avoid a bite. If you position your other hand strategically it is harder to get bit. A tame chinchilla will never threaten to bite.
Try not to corner them in the cage unless necessary.
Female chins can spray urine when aggravated and have a good aim from what I hear. Some are worse than others and some will never spray. If you get sprayed try not to flinch or react to it.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 08:00:51 AM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up