Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I get a second chinchilla?  (Read 580 times)

dbradley

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Should I get a second chinchilla?
« on: July 06, 2014, 02:56:42 PM »

I have one chinchilla currently, for my second one passed away a year ago. Since then, my chinchilla, Vano, seems to be bored and looks lonely. I got Vano and then got Eeyore, the deceased chinchilla, about three months after. They were together for about four years. Should I get a second chinchilla or let time heal his emotional wounds? He still plays when I take him out but you can tell he is missing Eeyore. Thanks for any advice in advance.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Should I get a second chinchilla?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 07:59:11 PM »

I would say it depends on the chinchilla. Sometimes a survivor will get very depressed and need a mate in order to live. Others are better off alone and the stress of trying to introduce a new chin can be more trouble than it's worth and is not always successful.
There are advantages and disadvantages to having a pair. One is exactly what I just said, that if something happens to one, the other can die from depression. And of course if one gets a contagious infection (such as ringworm, or a URI) you have to treat both. An advantage may be that a change in routine can be less stressful if you have two. So prevailing wisdom seems to say don't get another chinchilla unless it is for your benefit, not the chinchilla's benefit.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up