Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Well, that was a waste of money.  (Read 2045 times)

Jasonred79

• Appreciation points: 24
  • # of Chins: 1
  • human belonging to Popsicle
    • View Profile
Well, that was a waste of money.
« on: June 29, 2014, 08:13:04 AM »

I just bought Popsicle a new toy a few days ago.
It was a hay ball, a sort of ball weaved from straw/hay sort of thing, and stuffed full of timothy hay. For rabbits and chinchillas. They're meant to chew it, and reach inside and grab the hay and such I think.
Today, I was like... "where's the ball gone? ... are those long strands of rope looking thing... yup, looks like utter annihilation..."

Popsicle confuses me in certain ways. He likes to deposit unfinished treats and edibles into his food bowl, making me think he recognizes it as his food bowl. ... but he also poops in it a lot. hmm.

Chins4Life089

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 2
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: Well, that was a waste of money.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 09:12:24 PM »

Sounds like the chins I am about to adopt. I went over to the woman's house to see if they were in good care and I brought some treats. That was a mistake I gave this a pumice rock and within 2 hours it was just dust and stuff and there is 3 of them and man can that destroy stuff and fast. I will be adopting them after the 4th of July and its a mom and her daughters. I also gave them a vine spider filled with rose hips, and hay and it was gone by the next day the lady told me. I was kind astonished because it was like 7 inches wide not even including the legs. But that's a chin, destroy anything that taste good, looks like it matters and anything that the human likes  rofl  and the funniest thing I have saw them do is use me for a launch pad to get over the gate she uses to hold them in there cage room for play time and also her chins, well soon to be my chins think its funny to poo in the food bowl 2.
Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 05:44:28 AM »

My one chin is capable of a lot of damage in short order. I can only imagine that multiplied by three!
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Jasonred79

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 05:50:59 AM »

I'm not absolutely certain, but i think Popsicle has learnt not to bite wires anymore!

How did this happen? I am not *SURE* about this, but he did chew through some low voltage iphone wires... I suspect that he must have gotten a mild, uncomfortable electric shock every time he broke through the rubber, and eventually persistance and Pavlov worked together on auto-pilot to teach him wire chewing is bad. At least, that's my THEORY anyhow. (cost me 1 iphone power cable and 1 ipad cable)

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 05:49:02 PM »

That's very odd. DC voltage usually doesn't feel like anything but perhaps something as small as a chinchilla can feel it. The good news is most phone adapters are limited to around 1.5 amps so the danger should be minimal. The only way he could have felt it though is if both the ground and supply voltage wires were penetrated.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 06:32:43 AM »

One other thing to mention is that you cannot 'feel' DC voltage. What can happen is when you come into contact with a DC power source and complete the circuit there is a rapid change from 0 volts to the DC potential in the circuit. This transient change becomes AC. When the voltage jumps, or is cycled, then AC is generated in the system which may become perceived. 5v is still very low though but I won't go around licking my USB ports to find out!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 06:34:46 AM by GrayRodent »

Jasonred79

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 07:14:04 AM »

well,  maybe he burnt his tongue. Yeah forgot iphones use DC. But even a AA battery can generate enough power to heat up a wire a bit if you connect the 2 ends with a wire.

... on a perhaps not unrelated issue, popsicle doesn't eat skinny apple sticks anymore. Sudden realization that twigs = long thin thing with a nice to eat outside layer an a lousy inner layer. Wire = long thin thing with a nice to eat outside layer an a lousy inner layer. ... facepalm. ... Dunno if it happens to other chins (as we all know, they've each got their own personalities and mindsets!) but I can put the pieces together for Popsicle and it makes sense to me...

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 11:41:59 AM »

Katsu destroyed a 1x2' willow hay basket in about 3 days.  Right now he has a $30 insanely large bird toy with various wood, coconut, bamboo, woven willow, loofah, and lava rock.  When I cleaned his cage yesterday there was 2" of willow chunks and coconut hull across the fleece starting with a mound under the toy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up