Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you travel/ take holidays?  (Read 1242 times)

Jasonred79

• Appreciation points: 24
  • # of Chins: 1
  • human belonging to Popsicle
    • View Profile
How do you travel/ take holidays?
« on: June 07, 2014, 10:46:03 AM »

Haven't got any trips planned juuuuuust yet, but might do sometime soon, but I'm concerned about my little guy... I've got a pet hotel nearby, should be ok since I BOUGHT popsicle from them in the first place... but won't he be upset about the change in environment? And I spoil him rotten, so I bet he'll be unhappy about being "neglected" when no one spoils him all day long... or should I hope for the whole "absence makes the heart grow fonder" thing?

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: How do you travel/ take holidays?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 12:35:19 PM »

I've never really traveled with my chinchilla. He might not be quite as spoiled as yours but he's very sociable and tame for a chinchilla. He also lives right next to my computer desk at home where I work so he's used to having me around. There's been a couple of times when I had to leave town for a couple of days at a time. Since I weigh him almost every day and he is used to that I've had my brother weigh him when I was gone and noticed no noticeable difference. Behavior-wise he did act a little clingy when I returned but it was all good.

I can't say it will be the same for yours but it might be.
From what I've seen discussed on this board especially for people who take chinchillas to chinchilla shows they usually do not eat or drink when they are on the road so you really can't have them away for more than 24 hours. There is going to be a difference for show chinchillas vs pets though but that is going to be the worst case scenario. And it can be a fatal scenario if you're not careful.
It is usually advised not to travel with chinchillas unless you are going to be temporarily relocating them into a suitable place for more than two months at a time.
My chinchilla may actually be okay since he has demonstrated he will eat and drink in his carrier cage. There have been a couple of times I've had him out of the house for a day or evening. Once is when we had the house sprayed for insects. It will depend on the animal but it can be dangerous depending on your animals personality if he becomes depressed and stops eating and drinking.
And then there are other things you have to watch such as the temperature of his environment, noise and movement that can startle him, etc. If your car breaks down on the road and it's 90 degrees outside you can imagine how bad things could get.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 03:42:37 PM »

Vacation?  What is that?  I think 5 years ago I left for a weekend and paid my youngest sister to stay at my house with the animals.  There are some people that advertise pet sitting around here.  The vets can usually point you to a trustworthy person.  I wouldn't take a small animal to a boarding place.  Really stressful.  They'd be happier at home even if someone just stops by for 5mins.

Jasonred79

• Appreciation points: 24
  • # of Chins: 1
  • human belonging to Popsicle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 03:39:44 AM »

Yeah, bringing him travelling would be impossible methinks, since very few international airplane companies would allow me to bring him into the cabin, and I'm SURE that luggage hold would traumatise him badly.
Choices would be to have someone come over and take care of him once a day, carry his cage to my brother's house, or to put him in a pet hotel.
Thing is, weather here is HOT, so a power failure when nobodies in might lead to a dead chin. So, pet hotel is looking like my first choice... though kageri's advice is being taken to heart.
Still... this pet hotel is normally a pet shop. And they HAVE 2 permanent resident chins (shop owned and not for sale), so he might actually be happy to have members of his own species to hang out with. It's a pretty nice looking (and more pricey of course!) pet hotel, with individual units, a play area, AC for all units, customized cubicles with settings not just empty cage, sort of thing.

Well, I think I might try starting off with a SHORT trip, and see how that affects the little guy...
Pages: [1]   Go Up