Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Treat questions  (Read 1152 times)

Chins4Life089

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 2
  • hi
    • View Profile
Treat questions
« on: June 01, 2014, 08:30:36 PM »

Hi I was browsing Youtube for treat ideas for my upcoming chins and I found one that I am not sure about so I am coming to you the link for the video will be below but let me give u the story this laby owns I think 2 hamster now but I don't know when that video was made but anyway she made a treat the had Flour, Oat, Water and treats of your choice ( she used dried blueberries) the recipe is 1/2 cup of water, 1 cup of plain flour, 1 cup of Porridge oats, 1/2 cup of treats. In the video she iced them with a hamster safe stuff but I will leave that off if the treat itself is ok for a chin. All I need to know is if the treat is small portions is safe for chinchillas and also some safe treats for chinchillas like dehydrated goji berries stuff like that.

Also she makes toys and one she made was a hanging walnut shell toy. It was made by splitting a walnut and getting out the nut and using the shell by putting a hole in the top and feeding string through and hanging it and if u wanted u could put treats in the shell for a little surprise. I can't really be clear on something and some of it doesn't make since because it is hard to explain if u have questions watch the video below and please watch both the videos completely through and most likely it will answer you questions. Also I need to know if walnut shell is safe for chinchilla consumption. and thanks for your answers.

Link For Treat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tt8MgpR-5o

Link For The Toy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VstLswwLWGk
Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
Re: Treat questions
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 08:47:34 PM »

While people like the idea of cooking for their pets the pets would be healthier and in many cases actually prefer to get the ingredients separately without the less healthy stuff like refined flour.  Plain oatmeal or rolled oats can be fed a few at a time.  Dried fruit should be very sparingly, preferably not raisins or anything from grapes, and see if you can find organic with no sugar added.  The sulfates added as preservatives and the high amount of added sugar to most dried fruit for human use is a big health problem with chins.  They cannot digest sugar well at all.  Sugar free wheat cereals are some of their favorites.  Plain whole grain pieces can be fed much like oatmeal.  There are also many flower and herb products.  Ronda's chinchillas has individual ingredients and tested biscuit treats.  http://www.rondaschins.com/  We feed the rose products pretty much unlimited along with twigs.  Every time I clean a cage I sprinkle a small handful of rosebuds and a handful of various twigs about for foraging.  The carnation flowers are not as high on the list.  The biscuit treats I give 1 per cage per week so the sample packs are plenty big enough.  You can get other woods, larger branches, drilled coins, etc... from various sites.  Sometimes nearby orchards that don't spray their trees can give you large trimmings for free in late spring and fall.

True nut shells should be fine as toys and treat containers.  Just don't use peanuts.  They are a legume not a nut and like grapes and grape products have a high chance of carrying a toxic fungus with no smell or anything visible to the naked eye.  I would also do more research if you plan to use black walnuts instead of english walnuts because of the high levels of some compounds found in black walnut trees.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 08:49:32 PM by kageri »

Jasonred79

• Appreciation points: 24
  • # of Chins: 1
  • human belonging to Popsicle
    • View Profile
Re: Treat questions
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 07:56:32 AM »

Have to agree with kageri, typically chin treats you try and minimize nutritional content cause it might knock their system out of balance, so you'd want to give something with less caloric content than a raisin. Making it a bit pointless to cook something that INCLUDES fruit, cause you'd have to separate out the components before giving to your chin anyhow.

Chins love chewing on anything, my chin loves his wood and even lava rock. (it's not flavoured). Anything with the slightest bit of flavour is like super bonus to them.

I like rose hips, personally.
Pages: [1]   Go Up