Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: White discharge from eye.  (Read 2392 times)

Newfie-Stock

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
White discharge from eye.
« on: June 01, 2014, 06:54:21 PM »

My little guy who is going to be 9 this year started again to have a milky coloured discharge from his eye and the eye was like eye goop (sp?) glued shut so I did what I normally do and use a little bit of warm water and work the eye open. Now this is not the first time it has happened, it has been happening sense he was 1 after he had water drip in his eye from a leaky water bottle. Im wondering if I should call the vet and get him in of just wait it out, he has his teeth checked once a year and has had perfect teeth besides one spur that was trimmed down about a year ago.

So my question is, just like I question above should I take him to the vet or just wait it out, other then the eye he is eating tons drinking lots of water and pooping like a mad man.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: White discharge from eye.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 07:25:26 PM »

If it were a simple eye infection I would consider waiting three days for it to clear up. The drinking and excessive fecal output may indicate a respiratory infection. The infection may be effecting the throat now. If it is that it is very serious. If given antibiotics watch carefully for antibiotic induced GI stasis. Talk to your vet about how to treat for that if it occurs.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Newfie-Stock

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 07:40:54 PM »

I will give him a few days and if his eye clears up I wont worry about the vet, I doubt its an infection because he is acting just like himself, running around chewing on everything and talking to me if im not paying him attention.  I may have over exrateated a bit on the water and poop. He drink his normal amount and given the chance it takes a little over a week to get through his bottle and he is pooping normally. Im thinking I shouldnt have used the term mad man pooping

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 08:22:15 PM »

Okay then. Considering your pet's history of eye infections I'm thinking it's not a big deal. Sometimes chinchillas are born with defective tear ducts that can make them prone to that. If there is a change in your chin's poop output (if it becomes loose or runny) then you should get an exam. Typically acute eye infections in chinchillas clear up in about three days. Your chin is up there in years so it might be little longer but if there is no significant improvement by Wednesday then you ought to get a diagnosis by a vet. At least that is my opinion.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up