Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wet fur?  (Read 1377 times)

En.jay

• Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
Wet fur?
« on: May 24, 2014, 06:12:36 AM »

My son woke me up this a.m. telling me that something was wrong with tiny (the momma). I'm not sure what happened but her fur on her chest looks like it got wet somehow. She's not acting strange or anything just curious why it would look this way. She was fine at last check around midnight.

Baby Zūk is doing good getting bigger and faster by the day. When does he stop nursing and eat pellets? I've noticed him eating some the other day but that was it.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 06:39:30 AM by En.jay »
~*En💜Jay*~

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
Re: Wet fur?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 09:55:10 PM »

The picture is not working.  Wet or a look like the fur got wet previously can be lots of things.  Hitting a water bottle, getting urine on them especially with other chinchillas in the cage, and just friction of some repetitive boredom behaviors can make a clumpy appearance.  If it's not anything serious a few good dust baths should fix it.  If fluid is potentially leaking out of the nipples the female should be watched for redness, swelling, and fur chewing that can be the result of mastitis.

Kits should start weaning at 4-6weeks.  If the process has not started by 8 weeks they will need some help.  If they are eating solid food males should be separated at 8weeks.  This is another important time to check weights frequently.  They should keep gaining 2 or more grams a day after being separated from their mother.

En.jay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 06:42:52 AM »

Ok I gave her a dust bath and it cleared up haven't seen it again so I'm thinking maybe she was sitting up against the watter bottle. I know since having Zūk she has been extremely thirsty. He is still nursing but when she does to eat he goes with her. They are the only two in the cage the other two are in a cage beside them. Thanks for all the info. I feel like a new parent stressing over my babies all the time. 💜
~*En💜Jay*~

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 02:49:03 PM »

Looks like she got in a fight with the water bottle and lost! Now that the picture link is working I really don't think it can be anything but.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

En.jay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 06:13:52 PM »

Lol yes I believe that was the case. I saw her sitting up against it today. Like I said she has been pretty thirsty since she had Zūk. So much that we've caught her (for lack of better descriptive words) deep throating the water nozzle. 👀
~*En💜Jay*~
Pages: [1]   Go Up