Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cutting chinchilla nails  (Read 3113 times)

akmatulic

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
cutting chinchilla nails
« on: May 14, 2014, 03:22:53 PM »

It seems to me like my chinchilla's nails have grown recently. She has been scratching me a lot more when I hold her. I am not sure exactly how to cut chinchilla nails or if I should cut them. Is it normal for their nails to grow? Should I take her to a vet to get them cut? Or should I just let her nails stay the length they are? Please give me some suggestions on this  :)

Chins4Life089

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 2
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: cutting chinchilla nails
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 03:28:12 PM »

From what I know do not cut the nails it is really hard to tell nail from toes just let them grow and get a pumis ledges to help grind down the nails naturaly
Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 03:48:08 PM »

I strongly advise against cutting your pet's nails. It is too easy to nick a toe (or chop one completely off!). Unless your pet is super super tame it will not tolerate you handling its feet like that. Typically their nails will grind down and stay trimmed as they run about in their cage. If you feel the nails for whatever reason are long enough to risk injury to your pet I recommend you have it done by a vet (although I've never heard of that actually happening). A pumice ledge is a pretty good idea through.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

akmatulic

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 04:13:15 PM »

thank you so much guys! i mean i tend to over react about everything and want to make sure i give my pets the best care. they aren't long, it's just the matter of her scratching me more lately, i will def get a punic ledge to put in her cage for her  :)

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 03:21:25 PM »

Chinchillas have nails more like our fingernails.  The thin nail wears down easy and they will chew their own nails.  She may just be tipping her toes to get a better grip lately.  They don't have retracting nails but if they curl their toes a little they can dig in.  It usually happens when they are trying to scramble away or feel like they are going to slip.  You might want to see if you can find a better way to hold and pick her up if she's scratching you.

Jasonred79

• Appreciation points: 24
  • human belonging to Popsicle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 11:50:12 AM »

I used to find Popsicle accidentally scratching me or nipping me too hard when playing, but we've bonded well and he likes me, so after I "ouch!"ed a week or so and let him know I wasn't happy (no punishment, just let him know about it), he stopped, and moderates his teething force to gentle nibbles.

If all else fails and you MUST do something about his nails, yeah, FILE them don't cut them:

1. It's safer.
2. Cut nails can have sharp scratchy edges even after cutting. Filed nails are smooth.
3. Lasts longer. Cut nails become sharp as they grow. Filed nails retain smooth tips as they grow.
Pages: [1]   Go Up