Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Introducing Male to Female  (Read 650 times)

tmburton

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Introducing Male to Female
« on: May 13, 2014, 11:06:27 AM »

Hey all. I have a 6-7 year old female chinchilla named Houdini (we aren't sure of her exact age, she was a rescued chin) who lives in a very LARGE multi-tiered cage. The cage has a separation area in the middle that can separate it into two large cages (top and bottom).

Recently I have thought about rescuing another chinchilla who happens to be a male, and he is approximately 1-2 years old. I am not interested in breeding them, but rather want a friend for my female (we would neuter the male). I have extensively researched how to introduce them but I was wondering what everyone's experiences here have been introducing a new chin to an existing chin? And also what method worked best for you?

I should mention I previously owned two other chinchillas, a spayed female and a male who lived together for about 5 years until the female passed away at the age of 13. When I first got her, she was solo for the first 3-4 years and she adapted well to the male. I know one chin's behavior isn't indicative of how another will respond, but I thought I'd mention it.

Houdini has been on her own her whole life as far as I can tell, and I have personally owned her since 2008. I'm worried she won't adapt well to a new friend since she's been solo her whole life so I thought I'd seek some advice here.

Any comments are appreciated!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 11:08:48 AM by tmburton »

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Introducing Male to Female
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 07:54:51 AM »

As far as I know it is not enough to separate chinchillas with a wire wall. Two inches is generally recommended for cage separation to prevent breeding as males can impregnate females up to two inches through the bars. Having them next to each other can be hazardous if they decide to fight through the bars.
Although I know that neutering chinchillas can be successful it can also be risky. In almost every case you will have to hand feed your chinchilla after the surgery to prevent fatal GI stasis and intensive care must be given until everything is healed up. Typically things go downhill about a week after the surgery but so far I know of two chins on this board that have pulled through. I don't recommend that except as a last resort. I am amazed that anyone would ever spay a chinchilla except as an emergency hysterectomy but I'm glad it was successful in your case.
There is certainly a concern with a chinchilla that old (and not having had a cage mate) not taking to co-habitation. I suppose it is still possible depending on her temperament. As with any situation with chinchillas living together there is always a risk of fighting that can occur at any time, even years later. My advice is to keep them separated.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up