Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: my male chinchilla  (Read 1530 times)

chinlover28

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
my male chinchilla
« on: April 30, 2014, 04:52:38 PM »

My male chinchilla (Fluffy) makes a sorta really load noise when I go to pet him I am afraid he is going to bite me I don't know why he is making that noise I hope there is nothing wrong with him please let me know if you have any advice :) ;)

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: my male chinchilla
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 05:57:40 PM »

Can you be more specific about the circumstances? Are there any other changes in his behavior or eating?
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 08:21:50 PM »

Here is my advice, since I don't have a lot of information to go off of I'll say that an animal that suddenly has a change in behavior where there is no noticeable difference in its environment or stress levels, and you see a definite and unexplainable change where the animal is acting like it is in pain and is extremely sensitive to being touched or moved you need to see a vet.

Chinchillas do have times during the day when they are sound asleep and do not tolerate being bothered. Also they do not naturally tolerate being handled very much and can respond violently if they feel they have been misreated. This is unlikely to happen with normal handling of an animal that is tame and bonded to you. You need to think very carefully about things that might have changed. If nothing at all has changed talk to a veterinarian. Also keep close track of food and water intake. If your pet has gone off its food that is an emergency and requires vet treatment. If this is a new chinchilla and you've only had him for a couple of weeks it is likely you are handling him too much or too roughly and you need to wait a few days before trying to pet him. That's my advice.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

chinlover28

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 09:15:33 PM »

He makes a squeaking noise when you go and try and pet him I have only had him maybe a week and a half the other home I got him from they had him since he was 10 weeks old I go to pet him and he squeaks I don't if it is a happy squeak

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 09:18:11 AM »

Some chins are just talkative.  I have 2 that make all sorts of noises when you interact with them and one that seems to just talk to himself.   We named one Keck for the noises she makes at us.  She'll also make little crying squeak noises occasionally when my husband reaches through the bars to touch her without having a treat in his hand.  She's friendly, not stressed, not scared, although she doesn't really like being handled.  She's young though and might become more tolerant with age and handling.  If there are no other symptoms and he is only doing it when you try to pet him and not sitting there squeaking and/or grinding teeth which indicates pain then he may just be a vocal individual.  You should watch closely for possible problems though.  It would be a good idea to get a kitchen or postal scale to weigh him at least weekly for now.  A drop in weight is often the first indicator of a health issue.  Setting a bowl on the scale and the chin in it makes it much easier to get a weight on these very active critters.

Jasonred79

• Appreciation points: 24
  • # of Chins: 1
  • human belonging to Popsicle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 09:01:43 AM »

He makes a squeaking noise when you go and try and pet him I have only had him maybe a week and a half the other home I got him from they had him since he was 10 weeks old I go to pet him and he squeaks I don't if it is a happy squeak

I think generally, it's always a good idea not to CORNER an animal when you reach out to touch them... always give them space to move away from you in case they're not comfortable.
If possible, hold a treat in your hand, and wait for HIM to approach YOU instead.
new chins are like that. (not like dogs which can become best buddies on first sight lol)
Pages: [1]   Go Up