Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chilly acted different last night  (Read 1236 times)

En.jay

• Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
Chilly acted different last night
« on: April 24, 2014, 07:26:48 AM »

So my chinnys are usually not too loud at night however last night chilly my male was bouncing around the cage like he was on a sugar high. He hasn't had any treats just the usually pellets hay and alfalfa cubes. He also was very vocal all night. I kept checking on him but it was more playful sounds like laughing and chirping like he does with the others.

I'm not sure why just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions.
~*En💜Jay*~

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Chilly acted different last night
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 08:08:43 AM »

Perhaps it has something to do with the new baby?
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

En.jay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 08:22:05 AM »

That's possible I guess but this has been the only time he has done it. I'm sure nothing was wrong because he sounded happy with his lil chirping he always does. My husband and I joke around because sometimes we will be talking and chilly chirps loudly like he's laughing at us.
~*En💜Jay*~

En.jay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 08:25:00 AM »

I suppose he could be missing tiny because since she had the babies I haven't had him with her but in the cage beside her. When is a good time to reintroduce him in with her and the baby?
~*En💜Jay*~

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 08:34:43 PM »

I'm not sure. Maybe someone who knows will answer.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 02:57:12 PM »

I bet your female came in to breeding condition.  It happens shortly after having kits and then for 24-48hrs about every 24 days.  It could also have been babies making noise.  Some males really like babies and will talk to them, bounce around, and even threaten you from another cage for handling them. 

I would not try to intro a male to a female with kits.  Females can be very protective of young chins.  We weaned some kits in to a cage with a pair of females who had gotten along for the past 6 months.  The older one started threatening us when we got near them and then suddenly one day just tore up her younger cage mate.  We think it was a misunderstanding over the safety of the young ones.  It's best to wean the kits and then reintroduce the pair.  Kits can be separated at 8weeks but preferably they should have an adult role model until 12weeks.  It makes them easier to introduce to other chins and more likely to get along with a wider variety of cagemates.

En.jay

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 04:16:34 PM »

That makes sense. I don't think he was talking to the baby cuz we have this fleece cylinder that he can go in and he was in there and mama was snuggled up with him. I have heard chilly and baby Zūk talk back and forth though. He is very attentive to what is going on in the cage next to him with tiny and Zūk. Occasionally I hold Zūk up to chilly and they just smell each other and talk no aggression at all. He's only a week old but amazes me with all his energy. He did have a sister but sadly Lucy passed around 3 days. Thanks for the info. I really do appreciate it. This is my first experience with kits so I'm glad there's a place to find answers.
~*En💜Jay*~
Pages: [1]   Go Up