Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My chinchilla is biting  (Read 1683 times)

Maseman08

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
My chinchilla is biting
« on: April 18, 2014, 09:19:01 PM »

My chinchilla is such a sweet heart but she bites me but not her wood chews.

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
Re: My chinchilla is biting
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 12:06:40 AM »

How old is she?  Young ones can be mouthy and not realize they are harming you.  Especially when you first start giving them treats.  We just withdraw our fingers and say "eh don't bite".  By the time they are 4-5months old they usually start to improve and then they start to get a daily treat.  They still may nibble a little but they learn the limit to avoid causing pain.  My adults can slide their teeth carefully across my fingers until they get ahold of a single piece of oatmeal and pull it loose.  My young ones tend to go "treat!" *chomp!* and I have to pull the treat away, tell them not to do that, and try again.  Occasionally it takes 4 or 5 tries.  I haven't actually had any chinchilla break skin though.  Just hard pinches.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 05:45:02 AM »

Can you describe what the circumstances are? Is she lunging at you when you put your hand in the cage? Is she grooming your hand and then biting? Is she growling or vocalizing? Is she trying to get away from you? Is it when you are giving treats?
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Maseman08

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 08:34:38 AM »

My chinchilla is six months old and she likes treats but she loves to bite my fingers

Maseman08

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 08:38:10 AM »

She doesn't lung at me I put my hand out and she bites me even if I'm handing her a treat.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 08:43:33 PM »

Here are some things to consider, since I don't know that much about what is going on I'll just throw these out.
1. Your chinchilla is territorial and does not want your hand in the cage. She'll act okay outside of the cage but will be aggressive in the cage, especially if she is in a certain spot in the cage. Move swiftly to remove her from the cage and do not allow her to drive you off. (worked with mine)

2. Your chinchilla (like kageri said) is pulling on your hand to get something like a treat. Maybe the best thing is to stop giving treats by hand for a few weeks and watch for changes.

3. Your chinchilla is grooming your hand but is doing it too hard. Pull your chinchilla's head back when she does that. (worked with mine)

4. Your chinchilla thinks it is a game or you are reacting in a way that compounds the problem. Perhaps try not to react other than to push her away.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up