Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best cage  (Read 2075 times)

LeviStout12

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Best cage
« on: April 11, 2014, 08:25:16 PM »

Hey all, what would be the best type of cage to buy for one chinchilla? I'm short on cash but want a bigger cage for her. Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
Re: Best cage
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 10:22:51 PM »

Most use a single or double level ferret nation.  They are the most durable and easy to maintain with minimal need for changes to make it chin safe.  There is a plastic floor pan and a plastic shelf pan.  Bass equipment sells well priced replacement metal pans or you can wrap the plastic pans in fleece and use that as your bedding.  Quality cage company also makes a very wide variety of cages and custom jobs out of finer wire.  A lot of breeders use them for the various size options and the small spacing in the wire but they don't hold up to heavier wheels well and aren't really much more cost effective than a ferret nation of the same space.  Some multilevel ferret cages can work and start out cheaper but generally need lots of modifications.  Mainly removal of all shelves and ramps to be replaced with chin safe wood levels and fleece hammocks.  Large aviaries can also be used with less effort since they don't come with anything so all you have to do is put in wood and fleece items for levels.  They tend to be narrower with smaller doors though.  Unlike the usual purpose of a ferret nation cage you don't want your entire aviary front to open when dealing with birds.

LeviStout12

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 06:44:01 AM »

Most use a single or double level ferret nation.  They are the most durable and easy to maintain with minimal need for changes to make it chin safe.  There is a plastic floor pan and a plastic shelf pan.  Bass equipment sells well priced replacement metal pans or you can wrap the plastic pans in fleece and use that as your bedding.  Quality cage company also makes a very wide variety of cages and custom jobs out of finer wire.  A lot of breeders use them for the various size options and the small spacing in the wire but they don't hold up to heavier wheels well and aren't really much more cost effective than a ferret nation of the same space.  Some multilevel ferret cages can work and start out cheaper but generally need lots of modifications.  Mainly removal of all shelves and ramps to be replaced with chin safe wood levels and fleece hammocks.  Large aviaries can also be used with less effort since they don't come with anything so all you have to do is put in wood and fleece items for levels.  They tend to be narrower with smaller doors though.  Unlike the usual purpose of a ferret nation cage you don't want your entire aviary front to open when dealing with birds.

Thanks kageri! Is there any chance you could post me a link to a cage that will be good for my Grace? As i stated before, i'm short on cash.

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 11:25:25 AM »

Being low on cash and having chins doesn't really go together unless they came with all supplies.  Any suitable cage is going to be $100 minimum and probably require some modifications.

This is a single level ferret nation
http://www.ferret.com/item/ferret-nation-habitat-model-181-single-unit/650428/
Some of the other cages on that site will work with the shelves and ramps replaced. Mainly the other midwest and the prevue cages.  You want at least 2x2x3' or equivalent.  Petco and Petsmart sometimes have online deals of free shipping with the same cages.  I think they sold out of the base level of the ferret nations though.  They just have the 2nd and 3rd story add on units.  Which technically you can use by itself if you have something to set it on and save a little money.  We got a used one with no stand and base level so we just set it on top of a dog crate about the same size.

LeviStout12

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 09:14:20 AM »

Being low on cash and having chins doesn't really go together unless they came with all supplies.  Any suitable cage is going to be $100 minimum and probably require some modifications.

This is a single level ferret nation
http://www.ferret.com/item/ferret-nation-habitat-model-181-single-unit/650428/
Some of the other cages on that site will work with the shelves and ramps replaced. Mainly the other midwest and the prevue cages.  You want at least 2x2x3' or equivalent.  Petco and Petsmart sometimes have online deals of free shipping with the same cages.  I think they sold out of the base level of the ferret nations though.  They just have the 2nd and 3rd story add on units.  Which technically you can use by itself if you have something to set it on and save a little money.  We got a used one with no stand and base level so we just set it on top of a dog crate about the same size.

Right, 100$ was what i was looking to spend. I want what will make her happy.. Would something like this work? http://www.petco.com/product/113065/WARE-Indoor-4-Level-Hutch-Small-Animal-Cage.aspx?CoreCat=certona-_-ProductListTopRated_Chinchilla_1-_-WARE%20Indoor%204%20Level%20Hutch%20Small%20Animal%20Cage-113065
Pages: [1]   Go Up