Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sorry for the posts! A/C Problems!  (Read 849 times)

Mannybilly1030

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
Sorry for the posts! A/C Problems!
« on: April 06, 2014, 09:41:37 PM »

Im really nervous i cannot find my a/c remote and if i order it, it wont arrive until wednesday. Its getting hot tomorrow and idk what to do!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Sorry for the posts! A/C Problems!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 05:45:14 AM »

Does it have any control buttons on the front of it? You should be able to find the operating manual online.
Do you have a central AC system in your home? You can use that. Just set it to 75F to start and adjust as needed.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Mannybilly1030

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 05:49:35 PM »

Does it have any control buttons on the front of it? You should be able to find the operating manual online.
Do you have a central AC system in your home? You can use that. Just set it to 75F to start and adjust as needed.
God helped me. I didnt know the power button was a manual power switch. Well it turned on and im waiting for it to cool down my room. Thank you for posting i was getting really nervous
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 07:50:42 PM by GrayRodent »

Mannybilly1030

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 06:11:32 PM »

The temperature rose to 77 degrees and i seen chachi and chonchi lay flat like if they were super exhausted and there ears were red and i started panicing and i plugged the ac on and i pushed all the buttons and finally it turned on. Now the room is at 75 and its expected to get a little more cooler. I almost had a heart attack. Love them both to death and i seriously did not want a single thing to happen to them. I emailed a vet near me and they charge cheap for a visit and have an experienced chinchilla doctor whose seen Gerbils, Ferrets, Sugar Gliders, and a few Hedgehogs. And the visits and the test prices are low and she said with 3 different tests and a visit would come out to $175 and the first visit is half off. I couldnt believe it. I was literally about to have a nervous break down with a heart attack. Thank God was with me and turned the ac on. Now my boys are cool and this friday im gonna have there first play day in the bathroom
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 07:51:40 PM by GrayRodent »

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 08:03:15 PM »

Sounds like your chinchillas are a bit more sensitive to the heat than mine. I'm grateful you were able to get the temperature down. Praise God!
Over time your pets will get used to the higher temps but you will still need to be careful. I should mention that something you can do in an emergency is to put some cold unopened cans of soda in the cage, or half-filled frozen water bottles. (Don't fill a bottle all the way and freeze it or it will split) and top it off with liquid.
In my experience my chinchilla does not like chilled surfaces so you might want to see how that works for yours.
A very common thing to do is use a marble or granite slab. Pet stores often sell these "chin chillers" and put one in the refrigerator and one in the cage and swap them out. Again my chin doesn't like to sit on the chilled surface but it's something you can try. When they are not chilled my chinchilla is attracted them. I also have a big piece of marble from an old dresser.
When using these items please be careful that your pets don't get under them when you are positioning them and get hurt.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up