Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who sells Good Chinchilla Ledges?  (Read 799 times)

Mannybilly1030

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
Who sells Good Chinchilla Ledges?
« on: March 31, 2014, 01:04:06 PM »

I have been looking on a few websites but people are shut down due to weather problems or illness. and I need a place who is open now and has good stuff.
whimsy's-menagerie is open but they have a $30 limit which I don't understand because I only want one ledge and it seems to be to much. tjschinchillassupplies is closed due to illness. any other good sites?

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Who sells Good Chinchilla Ledges?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 02:16:13 PM »

If you can saw a board in a mostly straight line and know how to use a drill (or know someone who can help you) you can easily make your own shelves. All you need is four 1/4" stud bolts in a 1"x6" white pine board. Just cut it to the length of the cage so the bolts stick out and then fasten them with wing nuts and fender washers.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 03:25:27 PM »

I've been looking around too but I'm more interested in houses and mountable tunnels.  Shelves are easy enough to make.  Some hardware stores will cut boards for you.  Then what you want is a hanger bolt.  It has wide threads on one end that go in to the board and the other end is normal screw threads that a washer and wing nut can screw on to.  We just buy a 6' board and have them cut 1-2' pieces.  You may have to drill the board before turning the hanger bolt in.  It should go in to pine by hand.  Harder woods you want a capped nut (forget the exact name) to put on the end of the hanger bolt and then turn it carefully in to the wood.  Too fast and you'll rip through the nut.  You can do it with branches too.  We made our own bird perches before by putting small hanger bolts in to the cut end of a branch.  I had some hickory branches hanging from the roof and sides of my ferret nation until they got most of the bark off and grew bored.

After a little shopping around for a hardware store that cuts boards and sells hanger bolts it only takes like $20 and 30mins to fill your cage with pine shelves.

Mel Apple

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 06:16:56 PM »

I have a difficult time finding ledges as well, but have seen them on Amazon.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up