Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ways to save electricity...  (Read 1691 times)

Jasonred79

• Appreciation points: 24
  • # of Chins: 1
  • human belonging to Popsicle
    • View Profile
Ways to save electricity...
« on: March 26, 2014, 03:11:16 PM »

Boy my electricity bills have gone up so much due to keeping the AC on 24/7... keeping a chinchilla in an equatorial climate is no joke. Any suggestions on how to keep cooling costs down?
I have an idea that should work, but I'm not too keen on it... looking for alternatives...

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Ways to save electricity...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 04:51:07 PM »

Portable air conditioner and weather stripping would be a good start.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Jasonred79

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 06:28:52 AM »

Portable air conditioner and weather stripping would be a good start.

Weather stripping sounds like a good idea.
Not too sure about portable air conditioners... AFAIK the only difference between the refrigerator type ones and a normal one is they're portable. As for the evaporative type, I live in a high humidity country so those don't work too well here.

Well, I'm giving myself up to the end of March to find a working solution... otherwise drastic action shall have to be taken...

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 08:41:02 PM »

A window AC will work just the same depending on the ratings. Portable AC units are more expensive and take up more space but they can be installed in places that window ACs cannot and can be installed in places that have restrictions on window AC units. They can also be adapted to casement windows quite easily. So there are pros and cons. I have a free-standing unit and I like it a lot. If you get one, either a window type or portable type, that is the right size for the room, and that the room and doorway are properly insulated, you won't have to worry about central AC at all for your pet and can run the rest of the house at a higher temperature. That is what I do in near-tropical climate near Atlanta, GA. There are days though when the portable unit cannot keep up but the central AC makes it liveable when combined. And, yes, it is expensive. It's one of the drawbacks of having chinchillas and birds as pets. But we also have a 3 year old who shouldn't be exposed to high temps either so it's not all for naught. Another thing we do is cook outside as much as possible in the summer using crock-pots and barbecue grills to keep the house temps down.

Weather stripping is usually a good start when you're looking for places hot air is getting in. Expandable polyfoam sealants can also be helpful if you find large gaps. One thing that does work, although it's quite ugly, is Styrofoam insulation with reflective mylar backing. This can be put in windows in rooms that are excessively hot. Another thing that some people do is install exterior turbines for the attic space. That was popular when we lived in Phoenix, AZ where I didn't keep a chinchilla, but we did that and it helped. That and lots of ceiling fans to keep the cold air from the central AC flowing through the house.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 09:51:39 PM »

We have more of the opposite problem.  It does get really hot and humid here but only for 3-4months.  -50F is a normal Jan day.  We have hedgehogs which are desert animals.  Lots of hedgehogs and lots of baby hedgehogs all the time so we made them their own room (they now share it with rabbits since chins and rabbits cannot be housed near each other) .  We covered the windows with plastic and sealed around it with duct tape.  Then you run a hair dryer or similar over it.  It's a trick my mom used in the winter in the old house.  Despite being an interior door it has a weather strip on the bottom.  The only thing we left open is the ceiling vent and we run the central ac/heat fan 24/7 to vent every room.  The final thing which is the only difference between keeping heat and keeping cool is that we use a space heater set to 78F with a proper temperature gauge instead of just an unnumbered dial.  Substitute a window or portable ac unit there.  Our chins are actually in the livingroom because the thermostat is just off the livingroom and makes that room the most adjustable.  We do have to fix the ac soon.  It died right before the temps dropped for the year and we had to borrow someone's portable unit.  The livingroom has no windows and the bedroom has a sideways opening one so it would take much effort to convert it for a window unit.  Otherwise we probably would put a cheap unit in the bedroom since we actually use that more than the livingroom and have all our computers and game systems running in that small space.

Jasonred79

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 10:38:06 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions!

Will see what the electricity bill for this month looks like, and will make a decision based on that!
BTW, all my rooms have their own AC (not the bathrooms). Central AC is only for offices and commercial property in my country...

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 10:57:48 AM »

In that case the only thing you can do is weatherproof your chinchilla room as best as possible and make sure your air conditioner is properly serviced and cleaned.

Jasonred79

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 10:20:20 AM »

ah well... March has come and gone, and I actually caught a cold from the room being too chilly for me. So, anyway, bad news and good news.

Bad news: Popsicle is a lot less fluffy and cuddly.
Good news: I think he's more or less forgiven me for shaving him, turns out it's not that uncomfortable to shave a chin using an electric shaver, and I think it makes a LOT of difference to his tolerance for the hot climate.

Well... more or less forgiven, not completely. He's still rather skittish today, but I think I can bribe him back to normal with treats.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 02:11:53 PM »

Seriously? How much did you take off?

Jasonred79

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 11:40:57 PM »

I'm not a barber, electric razors are not instruments of finesse in my hands...

... Does it grow back?

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 06:56:17 AM »

Depends on how long your pet lives.

Jasonred79

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 07:41:12 AM »

Depends on how long your pet lives.

I'm confident he'll make it to April 2nd. ;)

Note: Guys, don't actually shave your chinchillas...
Pages: [1]   Go Up