Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla holding down her ear. Please help!  (Read 3840 times)

Jackiehawk87

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Chinchilla holding down her ear. Please help!
« on: March 02, 2014, 08:22:10 PM »

Hey there! I was hoping to get some insight on what may be happening. I have a new chinchilla and she is about 8 months old. I've had her for several weeks and just a few days ago I noticed that she was holding only her left ear down. She hadn't been doing that before I got here and the first 2 weeks. I have read everything I could find on it and it doesn't look infected, she's not unbalanced or tilting her head to one side. She is still very active and eats well. I don't know what it could be. Please any advice would be of help! If i can't figure it out I will have no option but to take her to the vet.
Please help and thank you!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Chinchilla holding down her ear. Please help!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 09:59:00 PM »

How long has it been holding down its ear? Does it do this at all times or just during the day (when chinchillas normally sleep)? My chinchilla will often times hold one ear or both down when I handle him and he is sleepy. Also he puts his ears down if he is under a blanket or anything like that. It used to bother me before I figured out it was normal behavior. When he is up and active on his own at night both ears should be up and normal as he explores the cage. If it really is persistent I recommend you call the vet but I'd be very curious what he would have to say because that would be very odd. Ear infections are rare in chinchillas but usually if there an infection or a foreign object down there your pet would be scratching constantly and tearing itself up against the cage bars. My first thought is this is behavioral and benign.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Jackiehawk87

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 10:35:34 AM »

She has been holding her left eat down for a week now. She does it all the time. I have looked in her ear as best as possible and I see nothing unusual. She is still playing and eating well and seems to be ok. She hasn't scratched at her hear so maybe it is just one of her little quirks now. We will probably still talk to a vet about it just incase but everything seems ok.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 02:13:58 PM »

That is very unusual. I do recommend you discuss this with a vet. This could be a neurological condition.
What is her diet like? Also what is the room temperature you're keeping her at? Also could your chinchilla have hit her head on anything?
Note: Please see following posts. There is a better explanation.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 01:54:46 PM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 08:23:35 AM »

sometimes they just do that if there are no other symptomes I woukdnt go running to the vet it would be undue stress for an unecessary cost
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 11:22:52 AM »

Quite common actually.  If they are pet bred or otherwise not show suitable they often have a weak ear or 2 and when stressed from a move, heat, change in routine, other animals, etc... the ear or both will drop sometimes for months or until it seems permanent.  One of mine was mistreated for 3-4 months after being bought from the breeder and then was returned to the breeder free with no explanation.  She spit, kecked, and threatened to bite everything.  After getting in a bigger cage with another chin to follow she chilled but she's held one and sometimes both ears down ever since and it's been months now.  Aika is also a bit of a nervous sort and the tips of her ears droop frequently.
Pages: [1]   Go Up