Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: long awaited babies  (Read 3970 times)

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
long awaited babies
« on: February 28, 2014, 04:05:55 PM »

Our first kits by Katsu, tov white.  These are out of Aika, standard.  We have some out of Aime, beige, as early as may.

I think we actually got what we told Aika to give us.  rofl  I haven't seen many colors in baby form yet though so I don't know how they'll lighten or darken.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: long awaited babies
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 07:09:44 PM »

I'm not sure if the TOV gene was expressed in the one. In the few I've actually seen usually it was a pretty dramatic effect at four months. If it did it should darken over time based on what I understand of it. As far as the white goes I don't know. I think that one is a bit more variable.
Either way those are both beautiful animals and I would love to see how they turn out in a couple of months.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

kageri

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 04:04:34 PM »

Looks like we have 2 females. 49 and 51 grams. Nice well developed, fat kits. Aika decided to cook these well and go nearly a month later than anticipated.

kageri

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 08:56:46 PM »

I didn't have time for pics today but these guys have got attitude.  rofl  Aika dislikes dogs and has been complaining about them ever since her kits were born.  Well one of the kits was sitting under the hayrack bolted to the door when the shiba came up to sniff it.  The 30lb dog got told off by a 60gram chinchilla.  She wasn't sure what to make of this and kind of stepped back, stared, and tried again with the same results.  That got Aika's attention and she came over to make sure the dog was put in it's place and take her baby away.  Earlier the little mosiac kecked at my husband for removing it from laying under the blanket with me.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 07:09:25 AM »

That's awesome
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

kageri

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 03:52:05 PM »

They are getting big and hyper

Jasonred79

• Appreciation points: 24
  • # of Chins: 1
  • human belonging to Popsicle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 11:50:02 AM »

They are getting big and hyper

... OK, you've done it... you have totally convinced me to let my chin breed.

... I got Popsicle when he was 3 months or so... now I am sooo jealous that I never had little guys like this in my house!

kageri

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 12:46:25 PM »

And when they are so young they like to cuddle under shirts or blankets and watch tv.  The bigger ones just run off to do their own thing and eat through my speakers wires. :/  However that silly little mosaic decided she was tired of my husband pulling her out of her hiding place with me and went "CHOMP" without all the warning squeaks she'd been giving him.  I guess she just got tired of him not listening.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 05:45:42 AM »

Please be careful. I have seen several cases now on this board where chinchillas have chewed through power cables. One case was behind an entertainment center. Some of them died instantly and some died slowly and morbidly from complications.

Anyway, those are beautiful kits and I am very pleased to see they are thriving.

kageri

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 01:03:39 PM »

We took down all furniture in the room except a dresser and are making our own computer stands so there are no wires running behind anything out of sight.  Then for now we wrapped all the heavy wire bundles in blankets.  There's just the wire between 2 speakers that goes around the computer monitor, or at least the wire did until I splice it back together again, and an ethernet cable that goes around the bed.  Neither carry enough charge to harm the chins and we try to supervise until we come up with a solution.  May involve lots of duct tape...  We can catch them if they show interest in the ethernet cable but the speaker wire is so thin it just takes a single bite.  Aime is cage bound until all wire solutions are found because she's the one who must taste everything and probably who got my speakers.

kageri

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 12:03:34 AM »

Pictures soon, I was just tired and busy sorting weaning hedgehogs today.  They've been gaining about 4grams a day.  My cute little fuzzies have turned in to hyper highly active chinchillas.  No more tv watching with kits.  Especially that mosaic.  She doesn't sit still for a minute.  However as much as she complains about being confined she returns to us the most and doesn't travel as far as quickly as the black velvet.  She'll make someone a very nice pet chin if they can handle the hyperness.  Curious, active, playful, loves to climb on you, and returns like a boomerang every time she runs off.  The black velvet will still sit in my blanket for awhile and run up my shoulder and back a few times but eventually she takes off and doesn't come back.  We have to go retrieve her. 

They are learning about sticks.  Sticks are interesting but they aren't entirely sure what to do with them aside from drag them around and gnaw on the end a little. 

kageri

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 11:41:46 AM »

My camera got borrowed and I couldn't get pics but I'm taking reservations on the mosaic next week so I retrieved it and got some pics.

6 weeks old

Pages: [1]   Go Up