Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Breed for ebony  (Read 4700 times)

ThreeLilChins

• Chinchilla Whisperers
  • Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
    • Three Lil' Chins
Breed for ebony
« on: October 13, 2006, 04:43:46 PM »

These question is for breeders who breed for ebony and dark ebony. What type of food do you use? Do you feel that any certian type of food helps produce the ebony in kits? I noticed when we switch the food we were using, that the kits produced my my eb, stn. pair lightened up in the color of their eb. We were feeding a food that was higher in fat. Do you think this has anything to do with it?

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Breed for ebony
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 07:54:35 AM »

::silly:: Very good question!
    I would love to hear the results on a study like that ... we have quite a few ebony (about 20% of the herd) and most are dark or extra dark.  We've fed Mazuri only in the past, but are in the process of changing over to Manna Pro Sho ... I'll have to keep an eye on my ebs to see if it makes a difference. 
    Don't know the answer  ::shrug:: but sure would be interested in it!  (And if it would have an effect on other colors also.)
    Do you have ebony and what brand feed did you use in the past and what are you using now?
    Have you checked with Lani at CA Chins?

::wave::
Jo Ann
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 07:57:05 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
  • Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • The CHINformation Organization
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 12:40:54 AM »

I haven't personally noticed that food has anything at all to do with the genetics that are thrown.  I have found that some chinchillas are more likely to throw the Ebony gene than others, though.

As an example, I have a Dark Ebony male and a Standard female paired.  They have had nine kits together and every one of them has been an Ebony.  However, I briefly paired the Dark Ebony male with a Mosaic female and I paired the Standard female with a TOV Dark Ebony male.  I found that the Dark Ebony/Mosaic pair threw one Ebony and one White Ebony kit and that the TOV Dark Ebony/Standard pair threw two Standard kits.

Obviously, my Dark Ebony male throws Ebony VERY well, having never produced a kit that didn't show the Ebony gene.  On the other hand, the TOV Dark Ebony male did not throw Ebony as well.  When he was paired with another Ebony, they produced seven Ebonies and one Standard.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 06:48:36 AM »

I don't know about feed, but I do know that bleach in the water will turn chinchilla fur orange. (this was discovered when a breeder added some bleach to her automatic waters to clean the lines.  A little bleach is safe for humans and animals to consume.  Eventually they noticed all of the animals on that line began to get a orangy tint to their fur)  So there is something to the theory that what they ingest can change the fur color.

Although, this is a chemical change and not a genetic change.  Once the bleach was removed the animals eventually went back to their natural colors.

But, it could just be coincidence.  I have a bunch of ebony chinchillas in breeding and most give me a full spectrum of ebony shades.  Its just how the genetic dice fall.  Its funny how colors seem to run in cycles too.  I have a run of 3 standard violet carrier girls with one violet carrier male.  For 2 years they all had nothing but standard babies.  I was just about to give up when all of the sudden last year the violets started coming.  Every baby born in that run was a violet. Now in 2006 every single baby has been a standard (vc)  its weird!!! 

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 05:25:05 PM »

Now that's interesting, so it's not all in the genes.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up