Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please comment on my cage!  (Read 1180 times)

TheFreedomAngel

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Please comment on my cage!
« on: March 11, 2014, 08:51:56 AM »

Hi all!

I live in Hong Kong where it can easily gets to 90% humidity and 38 celcius. So I have this cage that is shown in the picture, it is around 24" wide and very tall with steps to jump up. It is made of very hard wood that are on the sides and the back, with the doors made of wired mesh (main parts) + glass fully openable.

The outside i have a thermometer monitoring the temperature inside the cage as well as humidity monitor. The top of the cage I have a hole where I can insert the output tube of a portable air conditioner (manufactured by tripplite used in server rooms to reduce heat) during the summer to reduce temperature.

The chins have their own individual houses that are cubicles within the cage that has a metal wall that i can insert ice packs, and two saucer wheels to run on.

My question is regarding ventilation. I also have an air purifier and dehumidifier on 24hrs a day, the air purifier output facing the cage for fresh air, but since 3 sides of my cage are hard wood, do you think my ventilation needs to be improved?

Please share your comments!

TFA

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Please comment on my cage!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 10:07:33 AM »

That's pretty cool that you have an air conditioner attached to the cage. Certainly be careful air isn't blowing directly onto your chinchillas. It is cold enough to cause them hypothermia if it blows through their fur.

As long as the average temperature of the cage is in safe range (15C-23C) you are going to be safe. Humidity isn't going to be as important as the temperature. If it stays at 90 constantly (weeks at a time) there may be an increased risk of fur chewing or fungal infections. Since you have a dehumidifier and air conditioner I'd expect the room humidity level to be much lower than 90%.

Having three sides blocked is okay, again, as long as the temperature inside of the cage is safe. Also put your head inside and smell the cage periodically. If it smells strong of urine because it is trapping the ammonia that is not safe and you'll have to change something.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

mb30

• Appreciation points: 36
    • View Profile
Re: Please comment on my cage!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 11:19:50 AM »

Yes, please be careful with the aor conditioning. If its blowing on the chins it can cause them to become ill.
Pages: [1]   Go Up