Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Washing instructions for fleece  (Read 2006 times)

ADGphoto

• Appreciation points: 6
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Washing instructions for fleece
« on: February 23, 2014, 11:51:25 AM »

I'm 1st time owner.  Is there a special detergent I should be using to clean fleece?  Or, is there any special instructions (i.e. rinse twice, pre-soak, bleach/no bleach, etc)? 

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Washing instructions for fleece
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 06:57:25 PM »

I don't use fleece but if I did I would wash it with regular amounts of regular laundry detergent and of course as a separate load.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

mb30

• Appreciation points: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 01:01:27 AM »

If you can find it over there i would suggest to use this

http://www.groomers-online.com/product.php/2923/halo-pet-bedding---clothing-wash

Ceilingaquarium

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Instagram (with pics of my chins!)
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 10:38:18 AM »

I use fleece. I wash once a week unless an extra wash is needed. I use an unscented detergent. I don't think using bleach would be a good idea.

ADGphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 11:00:58 AM »

Thank you!  I will try to find an unscented detergent like Halo here in the US.  I double rinsed the fleece and did not put a dryer sheet in, but we are holding off putting it back in as our Chinchilla is very ill.  We have been removing elements to see what helps.  He is on antibiotics, Critical Care, Bene Bac and gas drops.  We just can't kick the sneezing. 
A little history:  We got him & a girl.  Girl was in respiratory distress at the store.  She died w/i 2 days.  He has a level 3 heart murmur.  This is his 3rd week on Enrofloxacin (generic for Baytril).  I'm concerned 1 - loss of cage mate & 2 - is it the cage (Critter Nation 162) &/or wood hutches & shelves (husband made from Poplar). 

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 04:21:55 PM »

I'm very sorry to hear you're having trouble with your chinchilla.
The heart murmur is probably a genetic defect that's been there all along. Reputable breeders will take these animals out of breeding as they can sometimes indicate significant heart problems.

The shelves are not going to be cause. Poplar pine is safe to use. Your belated chinchilla most likely had a contagious infection before you got it. Respiratory infections are big problems with chinchillas and new pets should be quarantined for at least two to three weeks before you bring them together. Usually respiratory infections occur when a chinchilla is weakened from stress and improper care and have some underlying cause such as the animal being under a healthy weight. Sometimes they just happen for no apparent reason.

Baytril seems to be the drug of choice. You may already know that the worst thing about antibiotics like baytril is that they can wreak havoc with chinchillas' digestive systems and you need to be monitoring your pet's food and water intake and fecal output each day. When administering antibiotics give the entire course as prescribed and do not stop early if the symptoms cease or you may fail to kill off any underlying infection and end up with an antibiotic resistant illness. Also be prepared to feed critical care. If you don't hand feed within 24 hours of your pet going off its food you may end up with irreversible bowel status and loose your pet. I've seen it happen that way repeatedly. Not all chinchillas are effected by baytril but those that are must be treated immediately. The benebac and gas drops should help with this but are no subsitute for getting the correct volume of food down each day at a constant rate.

I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

ADGphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 04:47:48 PM »

What would be the correct amount of cc?   He nibbles at hay and pellets, but not enough.  He is taking about 15-20 ml cc daily.  He does not want anymore than that and his poop is small.  He eats standing in his cage very politely.  Quite the gentlemen & he does not like getting it on his face.  Should I be holding him trying to get him to eat more?

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 05:41:36 PM »

I'm not sure what you are saying but I'm guessing you mean 20cc of critical care daily. If that is what you are doing please discuss this with your vet as it is not a good sign. If you don't have critical care you should get some from your vet as well as instructions based on your chinchilla's weight.

Usually a full grown chinchilla eats about 2 tablespoons of pelleted diet plus about a fist size amount of loose hay. I'm not sure what that equals in ml.
If you have critical care and must wait until tomorrow to call your vet I recommend two feedings of 5cc about three hours apart tonight and then go with what your vet's advice is tomorrow morning. I think critical care is about 20cc daily broken up into 4 feedings (so you feed 5cc every 6 hours each day) for an average sized chinchilla who is not eating at all but it may be more than that.

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 08:30:56 PM »

If your vet does not know oxbowhay company should be able to advise on the correct amount of critical care for your chinchilla's weight and age.  They do prefer you go through your vet though despite having a number to call about CC issues.  They don't even like to sell it without going through a vet but there are a few vet supply sites that sell it to the public.

The source of the respiratory problem likely has nothing to do with the environment.  The pet store got a batch of sick chins or they caught something from the other animals there.  Guinea pigs and rabbits are vectors for terrible chin illnesses even when showing no respiratory symptoms themselves or recovering from minor symptoms in a couple days.  It's suggested to house these animals in separate rooms and clean thoroughly between playtimes to avoid spread of disease between them since it's often lifethreatening for the chins.

Fleece is one of the most durable fabrics.  It is suggested for use in those with allergy problems because it can be washed very hot and on hard cycles for killing or removing allergens without shrinking or damaging the fabric.  I would not bleach it though unless you want patchy colored fleece or are already starting with light fleece.  Scent free detergents is suggested since the animals may not enjoy the strong fabric scent but the times we had to use whatever we could get they didn't seem to notice.  We also use vinegar to help keep the poop from clogging the washer and for getting more smell out.  Low scent dryer sheets should be fine although I tend not to use them.  My husband always complains when he pulls out this static ball of fleece and has to peel it apart.  rofl
Pages: [1]   Go Up