Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: More poo concerns  (Read 3941 times)

Squagel

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
More poo concerns
« on: October 11, 2006, 08:36:23 PM »

One of my little girls (LINKY) has recently been pooping larger, wetter poops than normal. I'm still trying to figure out exactly which one of them is having the problem but I'm a bit concerned. Both show no other worrisome symptoms. They seem happy, energetic, nice coats etc.

There hasn't been any change in their diet other than a new bag of hay which they don't seem to be eating as much of as the last bag. They both seem to be eating the same amount of their other food.

After we noticed the change in their poops, we stopped giving them daily treats to see if things would improve. It's been a few days now and they haven't gotten back to normal. I've also taken out the fresh hay (leaving them with just pellets and hay cubes) to see if that's the problem.

Is it time for a visit to the vet for one or both of them? Anything else we should try?

Lauren_201

• Jinx
    • View Profile
    • My Space
Re: More poo concerns
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 12:15:52 AM »

I would give them back their hay. It has the extra fiber they need to firm up the poos. Also try giving  a half of a unsweetened (unfrosted, plain and boring) shredded wheat, or burn some toast completely black and see if that helps. I have done both and have gotten great results. If the poos are still soft after a couple of days I would take the baby to the vet.
There is no one "true" way
~ Chinmom to Chloe, Berry, and Jinx. ~

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 07:28:11 AM »

All great suggestions!  Also, make sure your water bottle has been staying clean.  If you are not scrubbing that water bottle each time you fill it there could be some alge in there.  That will make soft poos in chinchillas.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Squagel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 11:12:13 AM »

I've identified that it's Charlotte whose having the problems. They loved the shredded wheat! (Thanks for the suggestion :)) That has helped get her poos back to normal size but they're still a little wet.

I have a brand new water bottle to give them so we'll see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll be keeping a close eye on her.

tinabeana

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 02:06:15 PM »

Read the thread about yogart too! It helps them keep up the good bacteria levels in their tummies, and I think it helped when my chin was having soft poop.

luvmychinchins

• Hi people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 06:24:36 PM »

if your chin has small poo, that could mean they need more excersize.my chins had small poo last week and what you can do is fill their drinking thing with cranberry juice(100%) about 1 fourth of it and than fillthe rest with water but always give them the option of water so you will need two drinking bottles for them.
~Luvmychinchins~
It takes more muscels to frown than to smile!

luvmychinchins

• Hi people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 06:29:04 PM »

also, if you have been giving them treats daily and then all of a sudden stop, your chins little tummy will get confused and shocked and will make their poo smaller, (im not sure about making it larger????).
~Luvmychinchins~
It takes more muscels to frown than to smile!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 07:07:47 AM »

::silly::Hi Squagel,
     When I have one chin having problems (wet large poops or anything else), I separate them.  That's like closing the barn door after the horses get out ... but it is a precaution just the same.  If I loose one, I don't want the partner to be with it when it goes ... it's a bit of a shock for them.
     If the burnt toast or shredded wheat does not work, try yogurt ... all of which have been mentioned and are very good.
     Is there a strong odor or mucous covering any of the poop?  Check for mucous by letting the chin poop on a hard surface (tile) and examine the poop as soon as it is released.  If there is any mucous on it ... get your chin to the vet a.s.a.p. and ask them to check for Guardia.

::wave::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up