Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Runny Nose with eating difficulty  (Read 811 times)

Pedro

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
    • Sanozyra Informática
Runny Nose with eating difficulty
« on: February 06, 2014, 07:23:55 PM »

My Chinchila called "Kiaha" had sik, had his nouse runny and not eat anything about two nights. She is a lot tired too, can't sleep.

Here's the thing: Here in my city there's no vet especialized in chinchilas.

Please help me guys, i really need your help, tonight i left Kiaha with the vet just to be a "technical" suport, but in same time i'm scaryed about the fact he don't know a little about chinchila.

tks

P.S: Sorry my english

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Runny Nose with eating difficulty
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 08:50:42 PM »

I am not a vet but here are some possible causes that I can think of that a vet can help you determine:

1. Malocclusion - misalignment of the teeth causing parts of the overgrown teeth to curl into the jaw or tongue. If it is this your vet can try to file the teeth flat. Otherwise there is no treatment. If you feel the bottom of the jaw and it feels rough this means the roots are overgrown and they may have grown up into the nose. It can be verified by x-ray. If your vet has cared for rabbits he should have a good grasp of this problem. Malocclusion is sometimes congenital but sometimes it is because of improper diet and not having access to wood to chew on. This is the most common cause for chinchillas to stop eating.

2. Respiratory infection - requires antibiotics. The vet can easily look up what type and dose. This is the most common cause of runny nose and it is very dangerous. Usually respiratory infections result in pneumonia which is almost always fatal.

3. Food poisoning or mycotoxicosis caused by eating hay or pellets that have molded. The mold creates highly toxic chemicals. Check that your food and hay are fresh and do not have moisture in them. This does happen on occasion.

There are other more exotic things that can cause these symptoms but you're probably better off trying to rule out those more common problems.
Your chinchilla is in trouble because it has not eaten for two days. This usually results in gastrointestinal stasis (GI stasis) that needs treatment. Please advise your vet to manage GI stasis if is present. Syringe feeding a recovery diet is necessary. I recommend a minimum of three feedings per day but you're better breaking it up into 5 small feedings that are evenly spaced. Sometimes GI stasis is not reversible and fatal if it occurs. Antibiotics can also cause chinchillas to stop eating
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up