Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Little Rascal!  (Read 522 times)

deliadee

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Little Rascal!
« on: January 28, 2014, 11:20:17 PM »

:doh: My new chin, a retired breeder we adopted a week or so ago is just warming up to us. Tonight for the first time he was up on the bed, on my computer and on me. All friendly and curious. He jumped on my shoulder several times, sniffing my face and I thought he was being very cute and sweet. I jut happened to have a mall dish of jelly beans on my lap, however and on the third or fourth trip by me he stuck his nose in the dish grabbed a jelly bean and took off!  :o And that was that, he sat there holding it in one hand, eyeing us and our attempts to get near, and ate it all up! I hope hes OK, I mean really, so careful about treats and not too many raisons etc and the little beastie stole something thats like all sugar, and he knew too! I didnt even think he knew what they were, and there he was casing the joint and lulling me into a false sense of security  ::shrug:: Anyway it was very funny...one wont hurt him will it? I still cant believe it!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Little Rascal!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 08:31:25 AM »

I think the chances of anything happening are very low but definitely keep an eye on his fecal output and make sure everything stays normal. If you see a sudden change see a vet. The biggest problem with sugars is that they can cause gas buildup in the gut and distention that can result in acute colic. If that happens you need to intervene promptly to prevent it from turning into something worse. Certainly don't give any more treats, such as raisins, for the next 24 hours. It should be cleared out by then.
The only other concern (and I really don't think one jellybean is going to cause this) is the other ingredients can cause soft stools. It's possible you'll see some of that but if it turns into liquid then you need to see a vet immediately.
One thing I've learned about handling chinchillas is to never underestimate their ability to get away from you. They can be very calm and then without warning they are like a big spring that unwinds all at once and then you realize the animal planned the whole thing in advance.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up