Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How much hay should my chin be eating?  (Read 3644 times)

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: How much hay should my chin be eating?
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 08:26:33 AM »

From what I understand the effect is detrimental to their teeth if they have no hay but only pellets. The grinding action of the hay keeps their teeth trimmed because it is harder and takes longer to eat. That is one reason why chinchillas with tooth problems stop eating hay. Not always but usually that is the case. Most chinchillas will eat a small handful of hay each day as well as about two tablespoons of pellets when given an unlimited amount of each.

If your chinchilla's teeth do not get properly trimmed each day they will overgrow resulting in malocclusion which is usually not possible to cure.

Opposite of that (having no pellets and only hay) is not detrimental per se, but the pellets have the added benefit of extra nutrients and will keep their weight higher which gives them extra insurance if they have to deal with sickness. A loose-hay only diet requires alfalfa hay to be given since timothy is not as nutrient rich.

It is recommended to supply your pets with both hay and pellets but the pellets must be the proper quality. If they are sweet or too soft your pet may go off its hay and overeat the pellets. Many diets marketed towards chinchillas are not good and some are very unhealthy. There are some good ones out there.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2014, 09:36:35 AM »

Pellets are ground up ingredients.  They break down quickly in the mouth and do not require the back molars to chew.  The molars grow too long and cause dental issues.  Sometimes even infections.  Also the long stem fiber in loose hay is more useful to the digestive tract.  Small herbivores fed only pellets or grain mixes are more likely to have digestive problems than herbivores fed loose hay.  Cubes are somewhat in between.  They mostly do what is needed and it's far better than a pellet only diet but they are not quite as good as loose hay.  We did have to use cubes for awhile because in the condo the neighbors whined every time a piece of hay or dog fur landed in front of our door.  In a house now and my bale of bluegrass arrived yesterday.

Jasonred79

• Appreciation points: 24
  • # of Chins: 1
  • human belonging to Popsicle
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 11:56:38 AM »

Bad news and good news and bad news...

Bad news:   Popsicle is not a huge fan of hay, he eats a little though.
Good news: He's found alternatives to wear down his teeth and add fibre to his diet.
Bad news:   It's my furniture. :(
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up