Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I get my chinchilla to cuddle me?  (Read 8874 times)

Jasonred79

• Appreciation points: 24
  • # of Chins: 1
  • human belonging to Popsicle
    • View Profile
How do I get my chinchilla to cuddle me?
« on: December 30, 2013, 08:43:29 AM »

I've had my chin for almost a month now, he was I think a few months old when I first got him, pet shop said he was used to humans.... I don't know...

I get confused daily by his behaviour, but I'm sort of working stuff out as I go along... Finally figured out that his running and hiding is a game, not being scared of me or avoiding being caged... (He is pretty comfortable with me as a human jungle gym and he goes into his cage on his own when he feels like it...)

I can get him to rub noses with me. Sometimes.

One thing I've managed to train him is playtime. When it's playtime, I stick my hands into his cage. When he climbs on, I take him out for playtime! Trained so well now that he waits for my hands first even when I open both cage doors. ;)

Trouble is... It's been a month, and he's still not fond of cuddling! I can stroke him and scratch him a little, and pick him up, but he's just not into cuddling! This worries me, as I read that you need to bond while they're young or they'll be shy when older...

I try to interact with him as much as possible during playtime, but he spends almost the entire duration playing hide and seek with me, there is hardly any physical contact at all! ... Should I wait until he's exhausted before moving onto cuddle time? What am I doing wrong?

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: How do I get my chinchilla to cuddle me?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 09:20:13 AM »

I wouldn't be too concerned. If your chinchilla is less than 6 months old he is going to want to be active. It can take over a year before your pet will tolerate being held and restrained. In fact that kind of interaction is contrary to the way chinchillas normally are and it takes months of careful and gentle conditioning to get them used to being held still. Even with that not all chinchillas have a personality that allows for that kind of interaction and restraining chinchillas can startle them or make them fearful. It is an instinctive response to get away from predators so it take time and many hours of trial and error. Obviously your pet is tame and trusts you enough to start trying. Just don't overdo it and you should be fine. Several short sessions a day is a good way to train your pet. Release him if he starts struggling but wait a few seconds before you put him down. A good place to start is interacting with him in his cage, scratch under his chin and get him used to being touched and petted on his neck. He won't like getting touched on his back but once he's used to being handled you should try getting him used to that. Then he'll be less anxious about being held.

I got my chinchilla at 3 months and it took about 6 months for him to act settled down. At 1 year old now my chinchilla will sit still on my lap if I coax him. I work with him every day several times a day so I have learned his habits and behaviors to know how to keep him from jumping off. It took 6 months before he stopped randomly jumping onto the floor. Now he likes to be held on occasion and really likes to be scratched and petted most of the time. Although he does have his moods.

He is more likely to lay still in the middle of the day when he is sleepy. Sometimes he will fall asleep or crawl into my pullover. Usually he is most interested in exploring. At night when he is awake and active he typically does not like being restrained so the mood your pet is in matters a lot. I don't think he is shy he is just a typical chinchilla.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Chins4Life089

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 2
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: How do I get my chinchilla to cuddle me?
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 08:36:58 PM »

I must say to be nice about this for the most part chin don't like to snuggle for hours like dogs they are very active animal when young and the 2 I have are a 9 month old and a 3 year old the three year old one like to cuddle during the day but not in my lap usually mostly on the computer desk were I keep a bundle of fleece so I can work and she can have a place to sleep. Long story short some chin just don't like to be held and restrained, they are like humans different personalities and emotions. A good way to think of it is that chins are in the evening a person that just slept for 12 hours and drank 15 shots of strongest coffee in the world, would u like to be told to go back to sleep. It is just the type of chin u have the key thing is PATIENCE.
But with what u have told me is your chin is in a very loving home and will warm up to cuddles soon maybe
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 08:38:56 PM by Chins4Life089 »
Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Pages: [1]   Go Up