Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slow breeding males  (Read 5192 times)

hope

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Slow breeding males
« on: October 10, 2006, 06:49:37 PM »

I have a male whose sired kits for the original breeder  who uses the poly breding system but he did not produce any kits for the person I bought him from who also uses the poly breeding system.
I bought him as he has a very desirable pedigree with sire being National show champ & Dam Show champ 3 x over so if he would just give me one litter he would be a definite asset to my small herd.
I only pair breed & use 3ft x 2ft cages so am hoping he will settle with the mate I have paired him to & father a litter.
I know size can play a factor in slow breeders but this male is not huge, about 700g so I was wondering what other factors you think can cause a chin to be a slow breeder & if any of you have slow breeding males how long did they take to father a litter?

ThreeLilChins

• Chinchilla Whisperers
  • Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
    • Three Lil' Chins
Re: Slow breeding males
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 08:30:38 PM »

Maybe you should look in to getting a run. I hear those seem to help with slow breeding males. A smaller cage may be needed so the female has more trouble getting away from the male. Maybe try a one level cage. Male chins for the most part will be smaller then female male chins. what is the poly breeding system?

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 07:48:32 AM »

It could also be his personality.  You may want to put him with an inexperienced female.  Some males are very calm and timid and will not fight a dominate proven breeder female to get to mate her.  They take the easy way out and just stay celibate.  Virgin females tend to be more submissive.  I don't know if its the inexperience or the age (as virgin girls are usually around 8 months old).  That is why you are usually told not to place a young virgin male with proven breeder females. Many times it won't work.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

hope

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 04:58:22 PM »

The poly breeding system is the UK version of runs & the male has been in those for a good few years without siring a litter.
I am going to try putting him to a young virgin female as it makes good sense that a more calm male would maybe not bother himself to try & mate with a experienced dominate female.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 09:13:02 AM »

::silly:: Hi Hope,
I have a male whose sired kits for the original breeder  who uses the poly breding system but he did not produce any kits for the person I bought him from who also uses the poly breeding system.
... I know size can play a factor in slow breeders but this male is not huge, about 700g so I was wondering what other factors you think can cause a chin to be a slow breeder & if any of you have slow breeding males how long did they take to father a litter?
    Chinchillas have their own personality, just like humans ... some will clash.  You just have to find the right female.
    We had a male chin, Jack.  He also went through 2 other breeders, but would not produce and was not friendly with people or other chins ... with lots of time and patients, and 3 different females ... he finally found one he liked.  When we put Daisy in with him, it was like turning the light on ... he loved everyone!  They had many litters.  When Jack passed, Daisy would not accept another chin to be her mate ... that was 2 years ago ... she still hasn't.  (Maybe your new fella misses his first bunch of ladies.)
     Jo-Jo and Puff have been together for 7 years and only produced one litter of one kit ... 3 years ago ... none since.  But they are very loving and get along well ... if I separate them, neither is happy.  (This is what you call a s-l-o-w breeding pair.   :blush2: )
     What I would do, would be to contact the original breeder and ask how he did there and would he/she send you pictures of the room he was in and the cages.  I would find out the brand of food they used and the normal routine they have with their chins.  When was the normal cage cleaning time for the chins.  Chinchillas do not like change ... he may have liked the "atmosphere" that he was in there.  Even something as simple as the lighting, or a different schedule can make the difference for some chinchillas.

::wave::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

hope

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 02:43:21 PM »

The original breeder told me that he was given 4 females & he only got one of them pregnant & he did not get her pregnant again. She was a 8 month old.
His litter brother was also given 4 females & got all 4 pregnant so my chin was sold to the person I bought him from.
He is over 5 years old now & has not sired a litter for 4 years.
The first owner has advised me to try a young female for 6 months & if nothing happens to try him with another young female.
I hope he does find one he likes eventually & if /when he does I will leave them as a permnanent pair like Jack & Daisy.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 03:05:39 AM »

::silly::Hi Hope,
     I hope you are not going to depend on him as a breeder ... with that record, if I had him, he would have been adopted as "pet only".  With what you have said, he would be more likely to be more like Jo-Jo & Puff than like Jack & Daisy.  If you do not want to breed, he would be a good chin to play with, but as a breeder, I would not count on him.  Of course stranger things have happened.   ::)  With as many chins as I have I don't mind having a few in retirement because they do not/can not produce, but if you do not have many chins, it will hurt you worse with him out of commission.  I hope you got a good price.
     The first breeder pawned him off on the second breeder and the second one did that to you ... unless they told you his breeding history before you got him.  Always ask about the breeding record before you get a chin. 

Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

hope

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 10:11:37 AM »

The person I bought from advertised him as a slow breeder & told me to be prepared for the fact that he might not ever sire a litter for me & as I only pair breed on a small scale it is no hardship for me to spare him a young female for 6 months & see what happens.
The price reflected the fact that he is definitely a slow breeder & the original breeder was also totally honest with the person I bought from.
With both parents being show champs I would be happy if he could just give me one litter ever & the fact that Jo-Jo & Puff have had one litter in 7 years gives me a slight glimmer of hope :)

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2006, 07:25:25 AM »

::silly::Hi Hope,
    In that case, you probably got a good deal.  As long as you know what you are getting and it is priced accordingly, there's nothing wrong with that.   ::nod:: 
    Good luck on that litter!  Maybe you will get it ... don't loose hope, but keep in mind the odds are against it and that way you won't get disappointed.  :) 
    If you could have heard me when I found that one little kit with Jo-Jo and Puff, you would have known how much a surprise it was for us.  BTW ... that little kit was named Patches, because of his markings and is one of the cutest chins I have.  He has produced 3 litters with his mate.   ::)
    Keep your fingers crossed and you hopefully, one day, you will be blessed with that special litter also!

Jo Ann
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 07:43:51 AM by Jo Ann »

My Little Jamie

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
  • Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • The CHINformation Organization
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 12:49:15 AM »

I'm in complete agreement with Jo Ann and Jamie...
I have a Mosaic male that I paired with a BV female and expected beautiful babies.  After over a year of them being together, I figured kits were never going to happen.  I was delightfully surprised when my BV gave birth to TRIPLETS seventeen months after they were paired.   :2funny:
Because I never expected it to happen, I knew I had to keep at least one of the offspring, as I wasn't sure they would ever have another litter.  As it turns out, they're just slow about things.  They welcomed their fourth kit into the world eight months after the first three.
Pages: [1]   Go Up