Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: bedding suggstions?  (Read 2273 times)

Squirrel_Butt

• Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
bedding suggstions?
« on: November 27, 2013, 02:53:55 PM »

Hi I have a question about what bedding is suitable for chins. I am using newspaper now but that can smell after a while. Im used to it but my girlfriend complains that she can smell it even with closed door and cages washed .  Even has the nerve to call them rats!  :flames:: grumbles:  Im going to try to use the wood shavings but want to know what type is safe for them. Certain woods can have adverse effects on chinnies.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 03:46:29 PM by GrayRodent »
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: bedding suggstions?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 03:45:41 PM »

Kiln dried white pine or aspen is the safest bedding for chinchillas.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Squirrel_Butt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 11:24:31 PM »

Ok I thought Kiln dried pine was but wanted to be sure tahnk you :)
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 06:48:55 AM »

:)  Dried pine chips are great for chinchillas.  I've uses them for over 20 years without a problem ... oops, there was one time, a long time ago ...  I chose an 'off brand' made for horse stalls (to save money - I had over 200 chinchillas at that time) and ended up with some little tiny black bugs ... the bugs could not get to the chins (because of their thick fur), but they could get to me ... ouch!  That was no fun.   :::(((        rofl   You live and learn ... sometimes the hard way ... but, those are the lessons you remember best.    :2funny:

But even with pine chips, the cage needs to be cleaned weekly.  You can also 'spot' clean it if you can find the area they like to tinkle in most often.  Just remove the moist chips and replace it with fresh ones daily, or every day or two.   Also, if you have a male chin, (it is rare, but ...) they will sometimes decide spraying outside the cage (onto the wall or rug) suites them well.  If this is happening, I suggest the use of a shower curtain or painter's drop cloth and wipe it down often.  Be very careful not to get the plastic within 4 to  6 inches of the cage .... these little ones will surprise you at their ability to reach things outside their cage, but still within a 4 inch distance of the outer bars.

Newspaper that has not been printed on is a favorite of those people allergic to pine.   When paper is used, I suggest changing the paper daily ... every other day as a minimum guideline to follow, in my opinion.  This can often be purchased for a minimal cost at a newspaper distributor/printer ... just ask if the have any 'end of the roll' paper left that you could purchase ... some are even nice enough to just give it to you freely.  Once the paper has been printed on, you are exposing your little ones and you, to the smell, the chemicals and the mess of printing ink.

If, after all this, IF there is still an odor from your chin, it's time for a vet check!  Chinchillas can get infections in their bladder that can cause an odor.  Any 'bad' odor from a chinchilla usually is there to alert you there is a health problem that needs attending to!   Also, if a chinchilla is exposed to giardia (a parasite), it gives off a horrible odor and giardia can kill your chin.  If you have a female chinchilla, some people will notice a slight odor when she goes into season ... but as a general rule, chinchillas constantly clean themselves (especially the females at this time), and it is rarely smelled by the normal human nose. 

There are lots of reason to be able to smell something ... but with a chinchilla that is kept clean, this is rare, unless you have a super sensitive nose.   Hope this helps. 

::wave::  Jo Ann

P.S.  Are your chins directly on the paper/chips or is the paper/wood chips in a tray that is separated with cage wire?  If there is a wire separating the chin and the bedding, remember ... their urine and poop touches and leaves some residue on the cage wire and/or shelves of the cage.   These should be cleaned at a minimum on a weekly basis.   A hand held steam cleaning machine works wonders and non-commercial ones can be purchased at a reasonable price!  And the best thing ... your chins are not exposed to cleaning chemicals, yet the steam sterilizes the cage wires/shelves!  :D

« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 07:02:19 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Squirrel_Butt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 11:04:44 PM »

My chins have a separate tray under them.  I put the aspen shavings In their cages today. So far light or no odor.  I don't actually detect any odors until the end of the week. Its just a slight urine odor. Girlfriend smells them all the time apparently. Ty for the tips.
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde

chinnieluvr

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 12:35:13 PM »

I use fleece liners in Annies cage, just make sure they don't chew them. I also use an old glass casserole dish with pine shaving for her litter pan. She does really well using it. Place it in the place where they use the restroom the most. ;)

Squirrel_Butt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 12:28:08 PM »

My chins all have more than 1 favorite place so Im not sure how well that will work. They like moving stuff a lot too
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 03:52:45 PM »

It will help if you gather all the wet bedding to the same corner each day. When you change the bedding put some of the wet bedding back into that corner. Eventually they will be attracted to that area to urinate.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Squirrel_Butt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 10:08:48 AM »

thank you all for the tips. I will certainly try moving the wet spots around
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde
Pages: [1]   Go Up