Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My chinchilla's Fur Around Her Genitals is Stained?!?!  (Read 1352 times)

Lettherainfall

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
My chinchilla's Fur Around Her Genitals is Stained?!?!
« on: November 22, 2013, 07:44:38 AM »

My chinchilla (Jovie) is about a year and 6 months. We upgraded to a bigger cage a couple months ago because due to my busy schedule, I couldn't let her out for hours at a time. I clean her cage about once a week. I am going to change her food soon because she is only eating the fruits and veggies in the mix, not the pellets. Anyways, I'm not sure if she is urinating and then sitting in it or what. It has been like this for about a month and a half and  thought if I just kept better track on where she was doing her business, I would clean that area better and more frequently..but it's still there. She has also been biting at her hind legs quite often starting 2 weeks ago. I was unable to get a picture of them because she hates being on her back. I'm not sure if it's the fur she's biting or if it's the actual leg. I am very worried. Do you think I should take her to a vet?!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: My chinchilla's Fur Around Her Genitals is Stained?!?!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 10:19:28 AM »

I think you should have her examined by a vet asap. Make sure your vet specializes in exotics. Chinchillas should not have fruits and vegetables in their regular diet. It could be loose stools. You will need to feed an alfalfa based pelleted diet and provide fresh timothy hay. Make sure your pets teeth are healthy. You may to syringe feed to get her food intake back to normal.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 10:25:26 AM »

The area needs to be washed. The vet can help you with that. The chewing is caused because it is irritating. It is unusual for animals to chew through their skin.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

En.jay

• Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 08:50:10 PM »

My females fur had turned yellow after introducing my male. We found out she was spraying her sister as a "keep away from my man" warning. Lol she has dunces stopped and her fur has cleared up. Maybe there is something irritating yours and it's making her stake her territory?
~*En💜Jay*~
Pages: [1]   Go Up