Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bedding Advice?  (Read 1244 times)

lifeisgood.lisha

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Bedding Advice?
« on: November 11, 2013, 04:48:31 PM »

My chin has redish/pink hind paws. I suspect it's from the wire ladders (which I plan to get rid of ASAP), but the Vet also mentioned it's possibly due to my fleece liners? Has anyone else experienced this with their Chins?

I guess I wanted to ask what types of liners do you use and what have you found is the best? I have avoided the wood chips because of the risk of respiratory stuff and how messy they are.... What do you think?  ::shrug::

mb30

• Appreciation points: 36
    • View Profile
Re: Bedding Advice?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 03:12:51 AM »

I use fleece bedding and i dont seem to have any issues.
I used wood chips for 3 years or so before i made the switch and never had any problems.
You just have to make sure the woodchips are safe for small animals.
The respitory issues would come with very dusty chips or a type or certain types of wood

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 06:32:06 AM »

If you go with wood chips the industry standard for chinchillas is kiln dried white pine but aspen is also safe. Avoid cedar chips. I have no experience with fleece bedding but I know of several on this board who do without problems. Some chinchillas will chew holes in the fleece and eat it which is potentially dangerous so if you stay with fleece watch for that.

If the redness is caused by the fleece it is because urine is soaked into it and is getting on the skin. If your chinchilla is spending most of its time on uncovered wire then that is wire that is the problem. If the wire where it is sleeping on is covered with fleece then urine is the problem and the fleece may need to be washed more frequently.

Chinchillas typically urinate in a designated corner of the cage. If your chinchilla has not established that pattern you can take a pie tin and put pine chips in it and fasten that to the desired corner. Some people use unscented (very important that it is not scented or have additives or it can kill your pet) clay cat litter to do this. When you change the chips put the soiled ones under the wire floor in that area so it smells like the urine and your chinchilla will make a habit of using that spot in a couple of weeks.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 06:57:13 AM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

lifeisgood.lisha

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 01:33:50 PM »

I think the soreness on her hind-feet is due to the bar ladders. I plan to get rid of those this week and replace them. I highly doubt it's from urine because of how frequently I take care of her cage. I sweep up her poops every day after work and then wash/change the fleece once a week on Sunday or Monday.

I had not thought of litter box training her... Interesting idea. Maybe I'll look into it! Thank you!!! You guys are so insightful.  :)

angiepreston72

• Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Northern Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 01:43:32 PM »

I have used both pine and fleece...my chins prefer the pine. They were not very good at litter training either so I just went back to wood shavings and its easier for me. I know lots of people who do use fleece but you may have to change the liners a couple times a week. With my two, they didnt go in one spot and I had to wash them by the third day, it was gross! But that was just my experience!
Pages: [1]   Go Up