Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grating in new cage???  (Read 1076 times)

stellas mommy

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Grating in new cage???
« on: October 20, 2013, 10:44:43 PM »

So i just bought a cage off of a craigslist add that once had rats in it. yes i know they are not clean so i bleached it and then rinsed and then scrubbed it with some dawn water and rinsed really well. with that all said this particular cage has a removable grate option and I'm confused about wether or not Stella is safe and will be comfortable on a grate. the grate is like 1/4 inch wide and about 6 inches long. i took a look at her front and back feet and i don't think that she will fall through but i just wanted some advise. also i want to potty train her to pee in a litter box so is it OK not to put bedding on the grate? so confused from what all i have read tonight.  :-\ Thanks for the help guys

stellas mommy

• View Profile
Re: Grating in new cage???
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 10:47:44 PM »

Also is it ok just to put her into the new cage or should i wait for a bit? im sorry im just a new chinny owner who knows nothing other than what she has read online.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 06:36:27 AM »

What is the wire spacing for the floor of the cage? If it is greater than 1/4" x 1/4" you won't be able to use it.
I'm not sure what you mean by removable grate but I suspect it's a wire shelf or ramp. In any case just don't use it. There is no need for it and ramps and wire shelves are notorious for breaking chinchillas' legs because they can get a part of a foot through it as they come down over the side. Sometimes this is fatal. It happens a lot.

I strongly recommend installing at least one solid wood shelf in the cage. It it better for chinchillas to rest on these and they'll usually sleep on them. A properly sized cage will allow them to jump from shelf to shelf. They can jump about 6' straight up.

You'll want to use pine chips under the floor of the cage in a solid pan to catch the droppings. Typically chinchillas will choose one corner of the cage to pee in. It might not happen right away but you'll see a pattern after a couple of weeks once they are in a new cage. If you pile all the wet chips in one corner that should help.
You can try to put chips in a pan. I know some people do that to help train a chinchilla that won't do that on its own. Just keep the pan in the same place for a few weeks and when you remove it the animal should still use that corner.

Hope this helps.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

stellas mommy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 12:56:44 PM »

Her shelves and ramps are made of solid metal. the removable grate is above a black plastic pan. it looks similar to one in a dog kennel. It looks just like the sides of the cage. ill post a link to a picture from an ad http://www.ferret.com/item/prevue-small-animal-cage-495/650270/. i know plastic is bad for chinchillas but stella is in a starter cage like this one http://www.wayfair.com/Ware-Mfg-Home-Sweet-Home-24-Small-Animal-Cage-01990-L1314-K~WFG1081.html?refid=GX21919115340-WFG1081&device=c&gclid=CJyJi4fNqLoCFeYWMgodawkArg and she hasnt chewed the plastic bottom at all. im just out of money for cage stuff right not so would it be better just to put the plastic pan were the grate was and call it done?

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 05:46:13 AM »

Looks like I still don't know what it is then. If it's a wire floor to the cage and the bar spacing is no larger than 1/4" x 1/4" then it should be fine. If it's like 1/4" x 1/2" then it's not safe.
The plastic pan as a floor will work as long there is no chewing but it's not advised. Theoretically a chinchilla that discovers the pan is chewable can make a hole in it big enough to escape in one night. Plus the risk of ingesting the plastic and getting a bowel obstruction or laceration which won't be curable if it happens.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up