Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unwelcome new arrival  (Read 2114 times)

Linda

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Unwelcome new arrival
« on: October 08, 2006, 04:02:54 AM »

My 2 year old brown velvet Lucy lost her friend Timmy a couple of months ago and since then Lucy and I have become much closer.  However, I couldn't help but feel that she was lonely at night when I went to bed because when I closed the bedroom door she would sometimes bark loudly and I would have to console her.  I took the plunge and got a 5 month old beige female, Scarlet, as a companion for her yesterday.  I have them in separate cages pushed together in "Lucy's room" in order to slowly introduce them to one another.  As soon as I put Scarlet in the room Lucy went ballistic and tore about her cage which I half expected anyway.  She is normally clean and tidy but this morning when I went in to see her she had spread her hay everywhere and had gobbled up every morsel of food.  I think she was afraid the new arrival might get some of it.  She is very jealous when I spend any time with Scarlet and attempts to seek my attention as soon as I walk into the room.  When I put my fingers through the bars of Lucy's cage she puts her tiny paws onto my fingertips and snuggles up closely.

Although she has calmed down a bit she is demonstrating rather aggressive behavior toward Scarlet who doesn't seem at all bothered with Lucy.  Scarlet is so calm and friendly.  Already she is walking up my arm and onto my shoulder.  She lets me scratch her under her chin and I can pick her up with absolutely no fuss.  She seems to enjoy a cuddle.  She has had a short wander around the room and casually hopped back into her cage.  She is an absolute dream.  This is the first time I have attempted to introduce two chins so I have no idea whether I am doing things right.  I am hoping they will eventually accept one another but then again, I know there are no guarantees.  I will keep my fingers crossed and given time I hope they will be great buddies.

Leslie

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Unwelcome new arrival
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 08:37:49 AM »

I bought a second chin in the hopes it would get along with my first guy and I now have two cages side by side for good....some chins will never get along. All the helpful tricks people told me to do didn't work for me unfortunately.  I guess I'm just saying you might have to be prepared to have two cages forever.

That being said, sometimes it takes time to introduce some chins and if they are both mild-tempered animals, they might just need patience.  Maybe after a few days, try putting them in each other's cages (not together in the same cage though) so they can get used to each other's scent?

On a side note, I see you are from New Zealand!  I didn't know you could have chinchillas there.  New Zealand is AWESOME!  :) 

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 10:00:54 AM »

::silly:: Hi Linda,
    Lucy is facing several problems, all during the same general time-frame. Chinchillas have feelings as emotions the same as humans, this, I am sure you have noticed, especially in the last two months...
(1) Lucy lost her friend Timmy ... who was also considered "family", since they lived together. ::cry222:::
(2) You and she became very close since then, and now, she considers you her family.  Even closer emotionally since the passing of Timmy was due to death (and he was probably with her when he died).  :hugs: ... |hugs|  ... 
(3) You have introduced another female ... (not another male like Timmy) ... she's confused  ::confused::  ... now she has no mate, her human family has added another female chin and is paying attention to them ...  ::chinmad::   she is afraid of loosing you also.  :-\
   If it were me, I would move the new chin to another room, temporarily.
    Choose a neutral play area ... not in either chin's room (maybe the bathroom ... it's easy to chin-proof).   Then, during play times, when Lucy is playing, I would place the new one in Lucy's cage (out of her site of course).  Then, during the new chin's play time, I would put Lucy in her cage.  Each will smell the other's scent on you and in the neutral play area and in each cage. 
    After about 2 to 4 weeks of this, you may want to put the new chin in a carry cage in the neutral play area and then bring Lucy in to play.  Pay attention to Lucy alone, then, at the end of playtime ... switch places with them, (Lucy in the travel cage & the new one out playing) but this time, give both chins attention.  At the end of play time, put the new chin up and let Lucy out with an additional short play time with you before putting her up.  Again, for about 2 to 4 weeks  OR  until Lucy shows intrest in making friends with the new female.  Lucy needs to realize you still love her and that she still comes first (she has seniority and she is the one that feels threatened, not the new chin).
    Do keep in mind, that all chins are unique and each have their own personality ... some personalities conflict and will never work, some take time and patients, and some get along instantly ... each case/situation/pair has to be approached accordingly.
    Even once you feel they are getting along, let them spend supervised time only together (preferrably in the daytime when they normally sleep and are not as active - hopefully to tired to fight).  When they spend the first night together (if they make it that far) plan on sleeping with one eye and both ears open ... sometimes they will change once the human is not in the room.  I would put them in the new chin's cage, not Lucy's cage ... females are very territorial.
    Only try this, IF, you feel confident in having the time, patients and possibly a second person to help out toward the end.  Never, never, never ever leave them alone (even for a second) until you know they can peacefully live together.
    Keep us posted!

::wave::
Jo Ann
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 10:11:00 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Linda

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 02:31:19 PM »

Thanks Jo Ann & Leslie

It's great to have good advice on hand. The only reason I didn't get another male was because I don't want to breed and I didn't want to have him neutered after what Timmy went through.  I couldn't go through that again.  I just hope in getting another female I haven't done the wrong thing by Lucy.  I will certainly try what you have suggested and keep you posted.

Yes Leslie, New Zealand is awesome!!  I have travelled extensively throughout the world and have also lived in Malaysia (2yrs) and England (4 yrs) and although I had some fantastic experiences I still loved coming home to my seaside village.  Then again, I suppose many people feel like that about home. 

Chinchillas are becoming reasonably popular pets here now but still not too many people have them.  I personally know of a few but it's relatively rare. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up