Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Introducing my two boys.  (Read 620 times)

Danlott1

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Introducing my two boys.
« on: September 25, 2013, 12:41:47 PM »

Hello :) ,
I'm a fairly new chin owner and just brought on a second male to try and help my first one cut the boredom down a bit. I've had Boo for over 6 months and he is just over a year, and I just got his hopefully new cage mate Mio about a month ago who is just over 6 months old. Now I've read different things online and tried the few things that line up but still need a bit of help.
  I take them both out at the same time and put them into the bathroom with me. Now it goes well for the most part, they both like to hop around and check everything out and as I've read Boo will mount on Mio of a few seconds but there's never been much distress from Mio. He will just stand there let Boo hop on him then after 10 seconds Boo will get off and move on. They don't really fight and for the most part seem really fine with each other. But there are a few things I'm not sure are normal and curious if anyone else had this happen and if there are any signs I can look out for to make sure there going to get along.
   Every now and then Mio (when Boo comes around) will make what I can only explain like a pig noise kinda a grunting and then both him and Boo will stand on there hind feet and start sniffing each others faces or will give chase to each other. I've never seen any signs of teeth or biting but not sure if this is a good thing or not. This only happens the most when there not in bathroom but in the bedroom where Boo has ran around the most the past 6 months. Now the only other thing is the chasing, I don't know if its a good where playing or aggressive your not welcome here type of playing. Once again this only really happens when ever there both in the bedroom but a few times in the bathroom.
   Sorry this was so long winded I just want to make sure I put everything. If anyone has any ideas on if this is normal good behavior or if its bad and if there are any other techniques I could try to help make them better friends.
Thank you,
-Dan 

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Introducing my two boys.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 12:49:19 PM »

Welcome to the board. I wish I knew more about this but I've only had one chinchilla at any given time. I'm sure someone else will comment.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Danlott1

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Introducing my two boys.
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 12:59:47 AM »

Thank you. I'm hoping so too, they seem to be OK still. Mio still is making that word grunting noise but they have seen to just avoid each other for now. So here's to hoping :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up