Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chincilla has been hospitalized twice in one week and no improvement  (Read 4339 times)

Morrigancharm

• Appreciation points: 4
  • # of Chins: 6
    • View Profile
    • Gnom Gnom Toys and Treats
Re: Chincilla has been hospitalized twice in one week and no improvement
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2013, 09:53:33 PM »

I did some more research on this. Another thing to consider that has only been touched on in this convo is the water. I saw where you posted that his water was in a crock. I am with GrayRodent on this too, you should remove that. Those have been proven to not be good.
I found this article on the water and needs of a chinchilla. I found it an interesting read at least. Neither of us have asked, that I can tell, what kind of water is he drinking? Is it distilled, tap, or some kind of vitamin water? Here is the link to the article. It may not be the problem or an answer, but maybe will provide you with some insight to the inside process of a chinchilla. :)
http://www.smallanimalchannel.com/chinchillas/chinchilla-diet/chinchilla-water.aspx

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2013, 07:12:13 AM »

I use filtered tap water in an adapted soda bottle connected to an industrial style watering tube. I replace the bottle every couple of months and clean it once or twice in between. The bottle is such that I can measure the water each day with a ruler each morning so if there's a clog I'll know about it the morning after, which did happen once. The spigot can be disassembled and cleaned out.

In practice if a chinchilla goes without water for a day or two it's not usually serious. Beyond that is when you encounter dehydration and more serious digestive symptoms. Chinchillas that go to shows are known for not eating or drinking during the day or two of travel and chinchillas that are relocated to a new home sometimes won't eat or drink for about 24 hours.

Chinchillas in the wild will find dew on plants and things since they live in extreme desert climates. This water is essentially distilled so in practice I don't think is going to be that much extra benefit by giving them vitamin water. These nutrients will be included in a decent pelleted diet. I do advocate filtering water if you're going to use tap water and only if you have a decent filter. I'd recommend using RO but personally I have to settle for a simpler filter. Otherwise regular bottled water may be the best way to go.

Changing the water and cleaning the bottle and sipper tube every day certainly is ideal but I try to do mine once every couple of weeks. I have not had any problems and this is more typical of how the pros do it. Large industrial systems that use use tubing are typically not cleaned even that often and on the scale of thousands of animals. I think it can be shown that in practice it is not required but in theory it is a good thing to do.

Typically an outbreak of parasitic infections on a ranch is caused when an animal has been compromised by stress or an unrelated illness and it is passed from a symptomatic animal to others. In most cases the parasites already exist in the body in low levels and come in on the food they eat and they'll take hold under certain circumstances. Water contamination issues are somewhat rare in practice. I do, however, think having an open crock of water is not a good thing since dust and food particles can easily get in there and grow mold which can be extremely dangerous.

At least that it my understanding. And as always I am learning about these things myself. I think it's important to consider both the theory and the practice and I really enjoyed the article.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 07:18:03 AM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

christa

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2013, 09:23:24 AM »

Thank you both for all this information.

I use bottled water.
The reason I had added a crock along with the bottle,  is that I had read that their water intake is better when drunk from a bowl,  as opposed to using a water bottle.

With my other 2 Chinchillas,  I believe I was too liberal with certain treats (back then,  almonds and raisins).
I had also been told to give kale and parsley and carrots by my exotic vet (I no longer do any of this).

He seems better today,  and as he was already hospitalized twice,  and had blood work and dental exam,  and was put on a total of 4 meds,  I would like to just allow him to have hay and water,  and some Critical Care,  and see if he improves.  I have had bad experiences with the vet prescribing all kinds of meds which kill the appetite and the animal seems to go downhill from there, 

Thank you so much for all of this information,  which I have taken well under advisement.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 12:32:18 PM by christa »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up