Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wardrobe Cage Conversion, Is It Safe?  (Read 1179 times)

01gausdenn

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Wardrobe Cage Conversion, Is It Safe?
« on: September 16, 2013, 01:19:10 PM »

I am looking to buy a wardrobe to convert in to a cage/home for my two chinchillas. I want them to have a bigger home as they will start breeding soon, so this seems a good idea as I have seen it done by a few people. The only thing that worries me is the type of wood, 99% of wardrobes are painted, varnished or made from plasticy type wood. I would put proper untreated pine shelfs in (chinchilla safe) so if they chew that it wont matter. But as for the wardrobe being the frame of the cage is this ok, as they wouldnt be able to chew the walls? i know some woods are toxic but is that if they chew them or just come in contact with them? Any/all advice and experience would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Snickerdoodlesmom

• Proud mom of Snickerdoodle
  • Appreciation points: 11
  • # of Chins: One
    • View Profile
Re: Wardrobe Cage Conversion, Is It Safe?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 01:52:00 PM »

I wouldn't risk it. Also I don't think that could be a well- ventilated cage.
- Dvora, Snickerdoodle's Momma

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Wardrobe Cage Conversion, Is It Safe?
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 02:26:16 PM »

If I were in that situation I'd smell the paint or varnish. If it smells like varnish then don't do it since the fumes might be irritating. If it's paint or plastic laminate you need to be sure they won't chew it since that could result in poisoning or bowel obstructions. Like Snikerdoodlesmom says, the cage does need to be well ventilated. The ammonia from urine and heat can kill chinchillas if it's not vented and you don't want to be blowing air through the cage to do it either. I'd recommend removing the roof somehow and replacing it with steel mesh if you are going to try that. The big problem you will have is the floor. It must be waterproof or it will mold and that is a serious problem if it occurs. Chinchilla's lungs are very delicate and they will rarely recover if respiratory problems do occur. If you go that route you may consider replacing the interior with laminated panels. The edges of any laminate must not be within reach of the chinchillas. You can build a cage using a wood frame with steel mesh or a steel cage with off the shelf parts such as a martin's cage as well. (Just don't use any steel mesh shelving like they do which chinchillas cannot use safely).
I converted a parrot cage but not without some problems. You can see that experience here:
http://www.chinchillaclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,4091.0.html
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up