Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Chin is acting CRAZY! PLEASE HELP!!  (Read 3727 times)

Mrsodell

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
  • Trying to be the best mom I can for Biscuit.
    • View Profile
My Chin is acting CRAZY! PLEASE HELP!!
« on: September 04, 2013, 08:53:34 PM »

I got my Chin about three weeks ago from a pet store (I know that's not the ideal place to get one). I did a lot of research about how to bond with a new chin, how to get him acclimated, food, etc. And honestly it had been going well. He was walking out from his cage to me, letting me pet him and feed him. Everything had been going great and I was feeling like the bonding process was moving quickly.

And then today it came to a squealing halt. We had been giving him store bought treats, and then had stopped for a few days, I introduced him to one today and he went NUTS! I saw him on the floor of my room and realized he sneaked out of the cage by crawling between the side wires! I am unsure what to do and if these treats are the cause of his madness. I had joked before that it was like a cat with catnip but I am afraid it is much worse than that. Now it seems like all he wants to do is get out of his cage.

I want him to be happy and comfortable in his home and only want what's best for him. But he is my first Chin so I am not familiar with behaviors and what to do.

Any suggestions or ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: My Chin is acting CRAZY! PLEASE HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 06:41:53 AM »

Can you describe the behavior? Chinchillas do like to escape sometimes. If he can get through the bars of the cage you need to get a new cage immediately. Typically you want around 1" of bar spacing. What kind of treats are they? If they are not suitable for chinchillas there is a slight chance of toxic effects. Also how is the cage set up? Do you have other pets that might be scaring your chinchilla? Or noises, or drafts, or something like that?
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Mrsodell

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
  • Trying to be the best mom I can for Biscuit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 12:04:20 PM »

He seemed frantic. Like he just had to get out, which he has never acted that way before. He has run around, jumped, climbed in his Cage but never acted so determined to get out. He was a decent sized cage with a solid bottom level and two higher levels as well as a wheel, a den, food, water, chew toys. The bars are an inch at the most in separation. But it was obvious he had been working at this one area. I don't know the exact name of the treats but I believe they are called dandelion drops. They are specifically chinchilla treats but the first ingredient is sugar. Which I should have checked beforehand I guess. We don't have any other pets and keep him in our bedroom because its quite pretty much all the time. I made sure to move any bagged food or treats into another room to hopefully deter him from getting out if he was smelling it and trying to get to it. He was more himself this morning but I don't know if it was because its his sleeping time.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 02:24:18 PM »

Sounds like you should use different treats and see what happens. Raisins are good treats for chinchillas. You can feed about two a day and chop them up into smaller pieces to make them last. Raisins are pretty sugary as well. Too much sugar can cause serious problems so be careful. Typically I don't give my chinchillas treats and he does just fine.

I wonder if maybe the chinchilla likes the treats so much that it is trying to get them. If that is the case the behavior should stop in a few days if you stop giving treats. However, it has been the experience of many, that a chinchilla will be under stress from relocation for about two weeks, sometimes longer. With some animals it is like their true personality does not show until two to four weeks after it changes owners.

This could be the case with yours and this could just be normal behavior, especially if it thinks it can get out of the cage on its own by pulling on the bars. Same goes for getting attention. I have a feeling your problems will be over when you fix or replace your cage so he cannot escape from it. Also he may be more settled in a few more weeks. Chinchillas take time to nurture and become acclimated to new surroundings. Young chinchillas are way more active than older ones.

If your chinchilla escapes it will likely get poisoned or eat a power cord and get electrocuted. This can be hazardous for you as well. Electrocution is something that I see frequently on these boards. Poisoning or bowel obstruction is way harder to identify when it happens.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Morrigancharm

• Appreciation points: 4
  • # of Chins: 6
    • View Profile
    • Gnom Gnom Toys and Treats
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 09:31:59 PM »

Hello! Another suggestion would be to switch out the treats entirely. Here is a list I have compiled of safe treats and what they do for your chinchilla. Maybe some chamomile might help him to relax. :)

Safe Herbs & Treats for Chinchillas.

*Although these foods are considered safe, they should be fed in moderation. They shouldn't be used in place of a proper diet of chinchilla pellets and hay. Also, as with people, some chinchillas may not react well to all foods so give new items in small amounts.*

MISC. – Dried apples, papayas, or bananas; goji berries; or uncooked elbow noodles.

**It should be noted that it is more than suspect that milled grains can inhibit the absorption of calcium. Therefore some treats once listed as okay in the past are no longer considered safe: cheerios and shredded wheat, for two. **

BASIL - Basil is responsible for improving the health of an individual. When basil is included in one's diet, the circulatory system is said to function better. Basil is also a good source of vitamin A, which helps to prevent damage to the cells by free radicals.

BEE POLLEN - Bee Pollen is used as an appetite stimulant, for premature aging, gastrointestinal (GI) problems, and contains Vitamins B1, B2, B5, B6, B12, C, D and E.
This is unsafe for pregnant or nursing chinchillas!

CHAMOMILE - Chamomile is often used for sleeplessness; anxiety; and gastrointestinal conditions such as upset stomach, gas, and diarrhea.

RED CLOVER BLOSSOM - Rabbits and guinea pigs enjoy all clovers.
Good for chronic skin conditions. High calcium level and a very high Ca:P ratio, with high levels of Vit. A and C. Stimulates nutrition and elimination, dermatological agent, and reduces muscle tension and spasm.

DANDELION LEAVES & ROOT - Helps calm digestive system, good for soft poops. Not to be fed in large amounts as it can act as a diuretic. Dandelion contains potassium and can act as a diuretic, cholagogue, laxative, anti-rheumatic, and tonic.

SHEPERD'S PURSE - A safe food for rabbits, guinea pigs and chinchillas -Good Ca:P ratio. Uterine stimulant, diuretic, and astringent.

GOJI BERRIES - This is another chinchilla favorite treat! There is natural sugar in these, so please use vary sparingly and do not use on chins with fatty liver disease.

MARSHMALLOW LEAVES, FLOWERS, & ROOTS - Chinchillas like the flower and leaf - it is a rich source of calcium with a high Ca:P ratio and good vitamin C content. Demulcent, expectorant, diuretic, and emollient.

HAWTHORNE BERRIES & LEAVES - One of the most valuable herbs for the heart and circulation. A heart herb from the rose family; stimulates the immune system to fight infection. Helps to prevent heart problems, stimulate appetite and aid digestion, and contains a significant amount of bioflavonoids that enhance the absorption of vitamin C. Hawthorne contains vitamins C and B complex, crataegin, carotene, and have potent antioxidant properties.

HIBISCUS FLOWERS – Contains vitamin C. Used to help sooth a cold and to keep them away. It is also used to help calm nerves, relax the uterus, lower blood pressure, prevents constipation and bladder infection

JASMINE - Used to calm nerves, as an anti-bacterial & anti-viral, and also used for treatment of cancer.

LAVENDER - Used to aid restlessness, insomnia, nervousness, irritability, anxiety, digestive complaints and loss of appetite, intestinal gas, and upset stomach.

ROLLED OATS - Oats contain more soluble fiber than any other grain, and boosts energy. A pinch twice a week is a safe way to treat.

WHOLE OAT TOPS (OAT GROATS) - Oats contain more soluble fiber than any other grain, boosts energy and chins have a ball taking the outer shell off.

OAT STRAW - Well known for lowering cholersterol, this is also a good source of fiber, rich in calcium, iron, phosphorous, B-complex vitamins, vitamin A, C, E, & K, good source of potassium, magnesium, zinc and protein, and is good for energy.

OREGANO - Oregano is a powerful source of many antioxidant vitamins.

PEPPERMINT LEAF - Peppermint is used to treat general digestive problems, colic and to reduce the production of gas in the intestine.

ECHINACEA PURPUREA ROOTS, LEAVES, STEMS, & FLOWERS – Commonly used to fight viral and bacterial infections. It improves the mobility of infection-combating leukocytes. Echinacea is often used as an addition to antibiotics. Also relieves inflammation and pain.

ROSEBUDS & PETALS - Rosebuds and petals are known to help eliminate fatigue, relax the body, and good for skin toning and improving the skin's texture.

ROSEHIPS - Rosehips are high in vitamin C and low in sugar. Vitamin C also aids in the absorption of calcium, which is also good for certain kinds of malo, and strengthens their gums.

ALFALFA - Rich in chlorophyll and vitamin K, which promotes clotting. The leaves and flowers can stimulate the appetite, aid digestion, and increase breast milk.
It is high in protein and should be moderated as a food source for chinchillas.

THYME - Thyme is used as an antiseptic and also used for used for respiratory infections.

CHICKWEED - Safe to feed in small amounts, very high in calcium with a Ca:P of 3:1; anti-rheumatic, vulnerary, emollient, astringent and stops itching.

NETTLE - Good source of protein and iron, high calcium level and good Ca:P ratio; It is an ideal source for convalescent animals - silica source keeps bones and fur in good condition. Astringent, diuretic, and tonic.

PLANTAIN LEAVES - Valuable addition to the green food diet of rabbits, guinea pigs and chinchillas. Valuable healing plants for a range of conditions used both internally and externally. Expectorant, demulcent, astringent, and diuretic.

RASPBERRY LEAVES- High calcium level and a very high Ca:P ratio. They also contain high levels of vitamins A and C. Astringent, tonic, and cooling.

YARROW - Urinary antiseptic which can also be used externally to help heal wounds. Good for young Chinchillas, rabbits and guinea pigs. Good level of calcium and a Ca:P ratio. Diaphoretic, astringent, diuretic, and antiseptic.

FENNEL - Digestive herb relieves heartburn, gas, colic, and an upset stomach. Fennel also increases breast milk. To use as a compress, put crushed seeds in hot water for relief of swollen, tender, nursing breasts.

OLIVE LEAVES - Contain elenoic acid which is antibacterial, anti-fungal and has anti-viral properties. It combats many strains of viruses, as well as prevention of viral or bacterial pneumonia.  Supports cardiovascular system, reduces inflammation, and helps with immune dysfunction. Contains oleuropein which prevents LDL cholesterol from oxidizing into a form that can form atherosclerotic plaques. The chemical also slightly lowers blood pressure and blood sugar in diabetics.

SUNFLOWER PETALS - Contain vitamin E, betaine, phenolic acids, and choline.  Benefits include protecting against cardiovascular disease.  They are also an antioxidant and anti-carcinogen.

Snickerdoodlesmom

• Proud mom of Snickerdoodle
  • Appreciation points: 11
  • # of Chins: One
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 08:52:21 PM »

Whoa, are you sure about the Cheerios?
- Dvora, Snickerdoodle's Momma

Morrigancharm

• Appreciation points: 4
  • # of Chins: 6
    • View Profile
    • Gnom Gnom Toys and Treats
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 12:07:36 AM »

That is the newer information. You can monitor your chinchilla's calcium levels by the color of their teeth. As long as they are nice dark yellow/almost orange color, then the levels are good. The more of a lighter yellow/orange to white, calcium levels are really low. This can lead to brittle teeth and other possible internal issues. The key is moderation, knowledge, and monitoring your chinchilla. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up