Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla picky on hay  (Read 588 times)

Decimus

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Chinchilla picky on hay
« on: August 29, 2013, 09:51:27 AM »

I don't know if this is common or not but my chin will not eat any of his hay that falls on the ground.  I have a cage ball to hold his hay and if anything falls out of it and touches the ground he will not eat it.  I wouldn't consider this a problem except he probably only manages to eat about half the hay and the rest is wasted making a mess.  Is this normal or is there a better way to feed him hay so I don't have to go through so much hay?

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Chinchilla picky on hay
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 11:22:11 AM »

Hay balls are actually dangerous to chinchillas. They are known to get their heads caught in them and I've seen some close calls with those on this board and have read about deaths in other places. Try removing the ball and putting all the hay on the floor away from the area where your pet urinates. That is what I do. A lot of hay is wasted but that is the best way I know to do it. That may correct the behavior as well. It may take a few days for your chinchilla to adjust.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up