Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Teeth Problem  (Read 669 times)

vera

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Teeth Problem
« on: August 15, 2013, 05:51:20 AM »

Hello,
My chinchilla (Flippy 7 years old) has teeth problem for quite a while now. The Vet grinded his teeth down. After few months he was still not better and only eating pureed food. I realized that he lost a lot of weight now only 350g, when I took him to the Vet he realized that he has black discharge coming from his gums. He gave him antibiotics and the infection gone down, but he is not eating much and I have to fatten him up so he can withstand anesthetics. I have an x-ray picture which they taken a couple of months ago after grinding his teeth down.
I would really appreciate if someone can tell me what kind of teeth problem he might have. The problem is in his upper jaws on his left side. I am not sure which side it is on the x-ray picture, but I think might be the right side image. I am scared that he won't have  a solution if this might be a root elongation. His eyes sometimes twitch so I am not sure if the root pressing on a nerve. Few days back he also got a seizure for a few moments, which scared me a lot. I don’t want him to suffer, if there is a hope I will try everything, but if there is none I have to let him go 
Here in Gibraltar are very few Chinchillas, that is why I am hoping that I find someone in this forum with a lot of experience. I am extremely grateful for your time and help. All the best!!!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Teeth Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 06:15:06 AM »

Although I am not a veterinarian I understand that the normal dental anatomy of a chinchilla does not look like that and I can see several obvious problems there, including intrusion of the roots into the lower jaw, deformation of the back molars, and curvature of the roots. In a healthy chinchilla the surfaces of the teeth are straight and perpendicular to the jaw. In your x-rays the back teeth are almost S-shaped. You might want to find a vet that specializes with exotics and have him interpret the x-rays but I think your best option is euthanasia. I am very sorry to see that you are having this issue. If you got your chinchilla from a breeder you might want to let them know since this kind of deformity can be genetic.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 07:28:13 AM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up