Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: question about breeding  (Read 2059 times)

Snickerdoodlesmom

• Proud mom of Snickerdoodle
  • Appreciation points: 11
  • # of Chins: One
    • View Profile
question about breeding
« on: August 01, 2013, 03:15:24 PM »

What does it mean to "cull" the herd? Also, when should a chinchilla first be bred (at what age?) Can males be allowed to mate when they're very young? If I introduced a female to my male chinchilla (not going to happen- he's a pet store animal, should not be bred, but hypothetically) that has lives alone for 1.5 years, would they fight? Or mate? Finally, how is it possible for a female to get pregnant immediately after giving birth? I know it's true, but it doesn't seem to comply to the laws of nature :)
- Dvora, Snickerdoodle's Momma

tinakris

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Re: question about breeding
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 07:22:16 PM »

Not a chin breeder but I did breed show rabbits so I can answer the culling question... culling is taking any animal passing traits deemed undesirable to your breeding goal out of the breeding stock.  So that the stock as a whole moves in the direction you want it to, and gets stronger.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 08:09:09 PM »

Many culled chinchillas are wholesaled to pet stores which is a really good reason to not breed pet store chins. Chinchillas can breed at 8 weeks but not safely until they are 12mo which is why it is best to separate all males from females immediately upon weaning. Pairing older chinchillas can be tough and some animals are not compatible with others. Breeders have interesting stories to tell about pairing techniques. However, it's never wise to let a male and female out of the cage together, because it can happen quite spontaneously. It is likely that any given female will go into heat and breed again after giving birth, which, is one reason you ought to separate the male when it's close to the due date. It is called breed-back and is hard on the female when it happens and the commotion of mating can lead to the death of the kits if they have no place to hide. The uterus has two sections that operate independently and in theory can even have two pregnancies at the same time which result in two consecutive births. This process is called superfoetation but as far as I know it's never been scientifically documented. There are many breeders who seem to have witnessed it though. So by the same physiological logic breed-back is also possible.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 08:35:15 PM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 06:33:22 AM »

Breeding chinchillas is so different than many other animals and no two chinchillas are alike.  Males can breed as soon as 3 months of age (and so can females) but that isn't good.  A well bred female can be bred as early as 8 months old.  Some mutation colors grow slowly and need to wait till one year.  There is no set age for a male to breed safely.  Most breeders like to put new males with new females so the male is waiting for his girls to come of age and they are all about the same birthday.  Already bred females don't usually take to a young inexperienced male.

When you put them together you need to do it slowly with side by side cages.  Once they are together in the same cage some will take to each other instantly like they have been together for years.  Some will fight, and most will chase each other around for awhile.  Many times the female will rear up and pee all over the male, the wall behind him, and anything else in the way. Be prepared for some messy walls.  This will happen with almost every breeding as the male will try before she is ready and she will usually pee on him to make him stop.

Sometimes the female will breed with the male in her first heat.  Many females seem to want to "fall in love" first.  Sometimes it can take up to a year before the female will allow a breeding.  This is part of why chinchillas bond for life and many times pass away soon after their mate.  Don't trust that though.  Some males are more demanding and some females are accepting so an accidental breeding during time out of the cage can still happen.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina
Pages: [1]   Go Up