Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Baby Kit, Possibly sick  (Read 745 times)

JerseyDoll2013

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 4: Mom, dad and 2 female kits!
    • View Profile
Baby Kit, Possibly sick
« on: July 18, 2013, 07:50:04 PM »

I noticed crusted blood under the chunkier kit. I dont know if Im just panicking because of the blood but Im worried she's sick. I wipe the blood off and see no cut or bite marks. Ive been holding her for about an hour now and she's just sleeping but making quiet little peeping sounds. Is this normal or do you recommend I take to the vet.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Baby Kit, Possibly sick
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 06:15:03 AM »

Have there been any changes since yesterday? I know that kits sometimes fight each other. Usually that is how that goes and you'll never find where the cut was because of all the fur. As far as the noises it makes I don't have experience there but I hear that baby chinchillas make noises that adult chins do not.
Just make sure the blood isn't coming from the mother's teats. Sometimes a kit will bite and cause sores that require treatment but that is very rare. It would be obvious if that was the case on inspection.
If you're concerned the kit is sick just make sure to weigh it every day. At this point in their development any weight loss at all in a day's time could indicate sickness or a problem with the flow of milk. If you notice signs of depression or abnormal stool you might have something to worry about. Otherwise I wouldn't be so worried.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 08:42:54 AM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

JerseyDoll2013

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 04:49:45 PM »

The kit seems to be fine. I'v never seen them fight, though and I checked the mom's nips and they seem fine.  She must have been tired that day or something because she's as active as ever! I love them! I love watching them, it really is a great experience. I wish one of them was a boy though. :( Trunks will be lonely. ( Unless I get him neuter and Im too nervous about that)

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 07:47:37 PM »

I am so glad to hear that it's going well. How is the male chinchilla doing?
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

JerseyDoll2013

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 02:33:45 AM »

He's doing ok, yet I think he's lonely. He stares at the mom and kits. I let him interact with them and he paid them no mind. I spend more time with him and only once let him run around with DJ and she didn't attack me this time. He sniffed her but that was it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up